Rearrange Formula: 2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2 to Ax2+ Bx + C = 0

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging the equation 2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2 into the form Ax2+ Bx + C = 0. The expert summarizer advises to always show step-by-step work and to use clear notation for exponents. They also mention the importance of including constraints for invalid values and highlight the fact that equations such as -x^2 + 8x + 4 = 0 and x^2 -8x - 4 = 0 are equivalent.
Natasha1
1. Rearrange the following equation
2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2
into the form Ax2+ Bx + C = 0

I did it and got -x2 + 8x + 4 = 0

Am I correct please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2

Am I correct please?
Could you please show your step-by-step work? That will make it easier for us to check it.

Likes FactChecker
Looks good to me. You should usually show your work in step-by-step fashion. Trying to do too much in your head is slow and error-prone.

Likes berkeman
See picture attached for working out

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 20.40.51.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 20.40.51.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 413
Natasha1 said:
2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2

Am I correct please?

No, your final equation in incorrect. Start again, and this time do it the easy way: re-write ##2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2)## by putting both terms over a common denominator. I really could not figure out what you were trying to do in your original working, but whatever it was produced errors.

Likes berkeman
Where am I going wrong... I need to rearrange the following equation 2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2 into the form Ax2+ Bx + C = 0

Here's my work:

2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2

2 + 2(x-2)/(x+2) - (x-2)/2 = 0
2(x+2) + 2(x-2) - (x-2)(x+2)/2 = 0
4(x+2)+4(x-2)-(x-2)(x+2) = 0
4x+8+4x-8-(x2 - 2x+2x-4) = 0
8x-x2+4 = 0
-x2 +8x+4 = 0

I think that your answer is correct ... with two caveats.
1) Always keep track of values of x that are invalid: x=2 or x=-2 cause a divide by 0 in the original equation. So always add the constraints x≠2; x≠-2. (Click on the 'Σ' button at the top of the entry window to get the '≠' symbol, among others.)
2) Use clear notation for the exponent 2. If you do not have superscripts, type x^2. (On the web site, click on the 'x2' button at the top of the entry window to get superscripts.)

So your final equation should look like:
-x2 +8x+4 = 0; x ≠ +2; x ≠ -2

Likes Natasha1
Natasha1 said:
Where am I going wrong... I need to rearrange the following equation 2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2 into the form Ax2+ Bx + C = 0

Here's my work:

2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2

2 + 2(x-2)/(x+2) - (x-2)/2 = 0
2(x+2) + 2(x-2) - (x-2)(x+2)/2 = 0
4(x+2)+4(x-2)-(x-2)(x+2) = 0
4x+8+4x-8-(x2 - 2x+2x-4) = 0
8x-x2+4 = 0
-x2 +8x+4 = 0

Sorry: I missed the minus sign in front of your x^2 term, so ##x^2 -8x - 4=0## IS correct. You wrote it as ##-x^2 + 8x + 4 = 0##, but the usual way of writing polynomial equations is to have the coefficient of the highest power of ##x## being positive (so with ##+x^2## instead of ##-x^2##).

Likes Natasha1 and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
I think that your answer is correct ... with two caveats.
1) Always keep track of values of x that are invalid: x=2 or x=-2 cause a divide by 0 in the original equation. So always add the constraints x≠2; x≠-2. (Click on the 'Σ' button at the top of the entry window to get the '≠' symbol, among others.)
2) Use clear notation for the exponent 2. If you do not have superscripts, type x^2. (On the web site, click on the 'x2' button at the top of the entry window to get superscripts.)

So your final equation should look like:
-x2 +8x+4 = 0; x ≠ +2; x ≠ -2
I'm sorry thank you for the advice

Likes FactChecker
Ray Vickson said:
Sorry: I missed the minus sign in front of your x^2 term, so ##x^2 -8x - 4=0## IS correct. You wrote it as ##-x^2 + 8x + 4 = 0##, but the usual way of writing polynomial equations is to have the coefficient of the highest power of ##x## being positive (so with ##+x^2## instead of ##-x^2##).

Why is it then I get two different solution for both equations -x^2 + 8x +4 = 0 and x^2 -8x - 4 = 0 ?

Natasha1 said:
Why is it then I get two different solution for both equations -x^2 + 8x +4 = 0 and x^2 -8x - 4 = 0 ?

They are not two different equations! If ##x^2 -8x-4=0## then also ##0 = -0 = -(8x^2 -8x-4) = -x^2 + 8x + 4##.

OK, I guess you could say they are different, just as ##5x^2 - 40 x - 20=0## looks different; but they are all just simple multiples of each other, and they all have exactly the same solutions.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
They are not two different equations! If ##x^2 -8x-4=0## then also ##0 = -0 = -(8x^2 -8x-4) = -x^2 + 8x + 4##.

OK, I guess you could say they are different, just as ##5x^2 - 40 x - 20=0## looks different; but they are all just simple multiples of each other, and they all have exactly the same solutions.
@Natasha1 ,

Thus they are called equivalent equations .

1. How do I rearrange this formula to solve for x?

The first step in rearranging this formula is to combine the fractions on the left side. This can be done by finding a common denominator and then adding the fractions together. So, for 2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2), the common denominator would be (x-2)(x+2). This would give us (2(x+2) + 2(x-2)) / (x-2)(x+2). Simplifying this further, we get (4x) / (x-2)(x+2). Now, we can multiply both sides by (x-2)(x+2) to isolate x on one side of the equation.

2. What is the quadratic formula and how does it relate to this equation?

The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are coefficients in the form Ax² + Bx + C = 0. This formula allows us to solve for the values of x in a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of Ax² + Bx + C = 0. In this case, if we rearrange the given equation to the form of Ax² + Bx + C = 0, we can then use the quadratic formula to solve for the two possible values of x.

3. Can this equation have more than two solutions?

Yes, in certain cases, this equation can have more than two solutions. This would happen if the two fractions on the left side of the equation simplify to the same value, rather than canceling each other out. This would result in an equation like 0 = 0, which is true for any value of x. In this case, the equation would have infinitely many solutions.

4. What are the possible solutions for this equation?

Using the quadratic formula, we can solve for the possible values of x in this equation. These values can be real or complex numbers, depending on the values of the coefficients A, B, and C. In general, a quadratic equation can have two, one, or no real solutions, or two complex solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can plug in the value of x that you have obtained into the original equation. If the equation is true, then your solution is correct. For example, if you solve for x and get x = 3, you would then plug this value into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. In this case, 2/(3-2) + 2/(3+2) = 1/2 would equal to 1/2, which is the right side of the equation. Therefore, x = 3 would be a correct solution.