1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help solving for 3 equations and 3 unknowns

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following equation for [itex]P_{1}[/itex] and [itex]P_{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]7.0+0.004P_{1}-\lambda(1-0.0004P_{1})=0[/itex]
    [itex]7.0+0.004P_{2}-\lambda=0[/itex]
    [itex]P_{1}+P_{2}-500-0.0002P_{1}^{2}=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having some issues on ways to solve this problem. I guess the main point I am stuck on is how do I even approach it?

I have three unknowns [itex]P_{1}, P_{2}, \lambda[/itex] and three equations, so I should be able to solve for [itex]P_{1}, P_{2} [/itex].

The example shows that the solutions are:
    [itex]P_{1}=178.882 , P_{2}=327.496[/itex].

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2
    My first suggestion would be to give some equations. You've given 3 expressions, which don't appear to equate to anything.

4. Apr 5, 2014 #3
    Woops. Updated. All expressions equal 0

5. Apr 5, 2014 #4
    That's better! :smile:

How are you with algebraic manipulation?

The first equation gives you [itex]P_1[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], and the second gives [itex]P_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Plug them both into the third equation and you find the value of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Use this value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] to find the values of [itex]P_1[/itex] and [itex]P_2[/itex].

Job done! :smile:

6. Apr 5, 2014 #5
    Thanks for the help. This is becoming a very complicated solution :S Will just use Matlab to solve!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted