Help subtracting these fractions please

In summary: And this time you got one and minus three twentieths, right? Which is 17/20. So it looks like you actually did the maths correctly - it's just that with mixed fractions you are (by convention) not allowed to have a...And this time you got one and minus three twentieths, right? Which is 17/20. So it looks like you actually did the maths correctly - it's just that with mixed fractions you are (by convention) not allowed to have a fraction with a negative numerator.
chriscarson
Homework Statement
Subtracting mixed numbers
Relevant Equations
Least common multiple
104001795_188426312532985_465687906107087136_n.jpg
I really can t find my mistake here 17/20 is the proper answer

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you put the 3 fractions over the common denominator of 20, it looks like you did not convert the numerators correctly.

First step is to put the front whole number of each quantity into the numerator of each fraction without changing the denominator yet. So ##5\frac{3}{4} = \frac{?}{4}##

Then after you have converted each of the 3 quantities to pure fractions, go ahead and multiply to put them over the common denominator of 20. Does that work for you?

Last edited:
Likes chriscarson and Lnewqban
[ DUPE ]

Likes chriscarson
DaveC426913 said:
[ DUPE ]
(Great minds think alike!) :wink:

Heh. I was commenting on what appears to be a different error: -3/20 magically becoming 17/20.

But I see what the OP is doing. He's actually doing 1 plus -3/20, which does equal 17/20.

The OP is trying to solve the problem by splitting the number into whole and fractions and dealing with them separately:

= (5 -1 -3) + (3/4 -2/5 -1/2)

= 1 + (etc.)This actually does result in the right answer (and frankly, it's easier math).

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
berkeman said:
When you put the 3 fractions over the common denominator of 20, it looks like you did not convert the numerators correctly.

First step is to put the front whole number of each quantity into the numerator of each fraction without changing the denominator yet. So ##5\frac{3}{4} = \frac{?}{4}##

Then after you have converted each of the 3 quantities to pure fractions, go ahead and multiply to put them over the common denominator of 20. Does that work for you?

I will try to understand it like you are showing me , thanks

DaveC426913 said:
[ DUPE ]

I think you mean I make magics lol

• Haha
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:

First step is to put the front whole number of each quantity into the numerator of each fraction ? can you tell how please ?

chriscarson said:
First step is to put the front whole number of each quantity into the numerator of each fraction ? can you tell how please ?
Let's start simply.

For the number 1 1/2, what would that be as a fraction only? How many halves are there in and and a half?

if you can post a picture with a written work like mine should help me better thanks

DaveC426913 said:
Let's start simply.

For the number 1 1/2, what would that be as a fraction only? How many halves are there in and and a half?

3/2 ?

Likes berkeman
chriscarson said:
if you can post a picture with a written work like mine should help me better thanks
Sorry. You're supposed to do the work, not us.

chriscarson said:
3/2 ?
OK, how did you get that from 1 1/2?

DaveC426913 said:
OK, how did you get that from 1 1/2?

2*1+1

Likes berkeman
chriscarson said:
2*1+1
Perfect.
Can you do the same for 5 3/4?

DaveC426913 said:
Perfect.
Can you do the same for 5 3/4?

23/4

Likes berkeman
Perfect. Now the other two in your problem.

Likes chriscarson
DaveC426913 said:
Perfect. Now the other two in your problem.

7/5 oh so my mistake was that i was making /20 ?

chriscarson said:
7/5 oh so my mistake was that i was making /20 ?
You're going to do that next.

Show all your work so far.

Likes chriscarson
103965114_268599944211570_3451833833866637948_n.jpg

Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
You're going to do that next.

Show all your work so far.

103965114_268599944211570_3451833833866637948_n.jpg

Yes, now put them over the common denominator of 20, do the resulting subtraction, and you have the correct answer! :smile:

Likes chriscarson
berkeman said:
Yes, now put them over the common denominator of 20, do the resulting subtraction, and you have the correct answer! :smile:

don t ask me why but I tried this already but somehow had different answer so I gave up:smile:
well thank you all

Likes Nik_2213
chriscarson said:
don t ask me why but I tried this already but somehow had different answer so I gave up:smile:
well thank you all
It's very, very easy to make mistakes with this kind of work, no matter how experienced you are. If you think you know how to do something but get the wrong answer, turn the page and try again. There's a fair chance you just wrote a number wrong somewhere...

Likes chriscarson
berkeman said:
103990510_3003009179790628_1792936299955737460_n.jpg

The thing is that here it worked out without make them as fractions

chriscarson said:
View attachment 264583

The thing is that here it worked out without make them as fractions
And this time you got one and minus three twentieths, right? Which is 17/20. So it looks like you actually did the maths correctly - it's just that with mixed fractions you are (by convention) not allowed to have a negative fraction. So you can write ##1\frac 12## (meaning one and a half), but ##2\frac{-1}2## (meaning two minus a half) is just something we don't write. If we get it, we either write it as ##\frac 32## or ##1\frac 12##.

Likes chriscarson
Ibix said:
And this time you got one and minus three twentieths, right? Which is 17/20. So it looks like you actually did the maths correctly - it's just that with mixed fractions you are (by convention) not allowed to have a negative fraction. So you can write ##1\frac 12## (meaning one and a half), but ##2\frac{-1}2## (meaning two minus a half) is just something we don't write. If we get it, we either write it as ##\frac 32## or ##1\frac 12##.

View attachment 264583 that this was an addition it was a different story you mean ?

Let's take a simple case: ##3\frac 13-1\frac 16##. Your original method would be to think ##3-1=2## and ##\frac 13-\frac 16=\frac 16## to give an answer of ##2\frac 16## - right?

Now let's try another example: ##4\frac 12-2\frac 23##. Your original method would be to think ##4-2=2## and ##\frac 12-\frac 23=-\frac 16##, to give an answer of ##2\frac{-1}6##. That's not wrong - it's just that the convention for writing numbers in this mixed form is that the fraction is always positive and less than one. This one is negative. All you need to do is work out that ##2-\frac 16=1\frac 56##.

You can have a similar problem using your methodology to add, if the fractions add up to more than one. For example ##1\frac 23+2\frac 12=3\frac 76##. But seven sixths is more than one, so you'd write ##3\frac 76## as ##4\frac 16##.

Likes Delta2 and chriscarson
Your final answer is not how you should ever write a mixed number. You can not simply concatenate the integer +1 and the fraction -3/20 directly to a proper mixed number. The integer part and the fractional part must have the same sign. Change that integer, 1, into a fraction and subtract the fraction numerators to get a valid answer.

Likes chriscarson
Ibix said:
Let's take a simple case: ##3\frac 13-1\frac 16##. Your original method would be to think ##3-1=2## and ##\frac 13-\frac 16=\frac 16## to give an answer of ##2\frac 16## - right?

Now let's try another example: ##4\frac 12-2\frac 23##. Your original method would be to think ##4-2=2## and ##\frac 12-\frac 23=-\frac 16##, to give an answer of ##2\frac{-1}6##. That's not wrong - it's just that the convention for writing numbers in this mixed form is that the fraction is always positive and less than one. This one is negative. All you need to do is work out that ##2-\frac 16=1\frac 56##.

You can have a similar problem using your methodology to add, if the fractions add up to more than one. For example ##1\frac 23+2\frac 12=3\frac 76##. But seven sixths is more than one, so you'd write ##3\frac 76## as ##4\frac 16##.

I think i got it now . Never thought that the denominator is the last number that the numerator have to be the highest value of and than you add one whole.

FactChecker said:
Your final answer is not how you should ever write a mixed number. You can not simply concatenate the integer +1 and the fraction -3/20 directly to a proper mixed number. The integer part and the fractional part must have the same sign. Change that integer, 1, into a fraction and subtract the fraction numerators to get a valid answer.
Integer you mean the whole number ?

chriscarson said:
Integer you mean the whole number ?
Yes

Likes chriscarson
FactChecker said:
Yes
So you make 20 × 1 - 3 = 17 then / 20 .
Good looks more clear now for me .
Thanks

Likes Delta2 and FactChecker

1. How do I subtract fractions with different denominators?

To subtract fractions with different denominators, you must first find a common denominator by finding the least common multiple of the denominators. Then, convert each fraction into an equivalent fraction with the common denominator. Finally, subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator.

2. Can I just subtract the numerators and keep the denominators the same?

No, you cannot simply subtract the numerators and keep the denominators the same. This only works when the fractions have the same denominator. When the denominators are different, you must find a common denominator and convert the fractions before subtracting.

3. What if the numerator is larger than the denominator?

If the numerator is larger than the denominator, you have an improper fraction. In this case, you must first convert the improper fraction into a mixed number before subtracting. To do this, divide the numerator by the denominator and use the quotient as the whole number of the mixed number. Then, use the remainder as the new numerator and keep the original denominator.

4. Is it possible to subtract more than two fractions at once?

Yes, it is possible to subtract more than two fractions at once. The process is the same as subtracting two fractions, but you must first find a common denominator for all the fractions involved. Then, convert each fraction into an equivalent fraction with the common denominator and subtract the numerators while keeping the common denominator.

5. What if I end up with a negative fraction after subtracting?

If you end up with a negative fraction after subtracting, you can leave it as a negative fraction or convert it into a mixed number. To convert it into a mixed number, divide the numerator by the denominator and use the quotient as the whole number of the mixed number. Then, use the remainder as the new numerator and keep the original denominator.