Help -- Suggestions please for preparing for university physics

In summary, the speaker has always been interested in physics and math and has a secret dream of becoming a doctor of physics. They did well in secondary school but were unable to finish their A levels due to a cancer diagnosis. They are currently undergoing chemotherapy but still have a strong desire to obtain a degree in physics. However, their parents do not see it as a viable career choice. The speaker is seeking advice on where to start and what resources to use to prepare for university level physics.
BL4CKB0X97
Hello people. I'm going to cut to the chase. I have always had a deep set interest in physics and maths. It's always been a secret dream to become Dr of physics.

I'm 19.I did well in secondary school,got a lot of gcses, the English here will know, and started doing A level maths, literature and ICT (my mum said no to physics because it's too geeky). Never got to the end of them because I was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic lymphoma midway.

Now, as you can imagine I have my priorities worked out. I will get a degree in physics.i don't doubt this. But I am still on chemotherapy so I can't go back to school and the sciences are not really seen as a viable career or hobby to my parent's, although that does seem to be changing.

So the question is, can you guys help?
I want to get to a point where I can fly through the A Levels when comes a time I can do them.
Where should I start? What should I read and which are the best textbooks?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the basic concepts that I should review before starting university physics?

It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus before beginning university physics. You should also familiarize yourself with key physics concepts such as motion, forces, and energy.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly. Make sure to work through a variety of problems from your textbook, attend practice sessions or tutoring sessions if available, and seek help from your professor or classmates when needed.

3. What resources are available to help me prepare for university physics?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for university physics. You can use online tutorials, review books, study groups, or seek help from your professor or teaching assistants. You can also find practice problems and exercises online or in your textbook.

4. How can I effectively manage my time while preparing for university physics?

Time management is crucial when preparing for university physics. Make a study schedule and stick to it, break up your studying into smaller chunks, and prioritize your tasks. It is also important to take breaks and avoid procrastinating.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying for university physics?

Staying motivated can be challenging when studying for a difficult subject like physics. One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for yourself, whether it be completing a certain number of practice problems or achieving a certain grade. You can also find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated.