Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP .The Azimuth and Altitude of Star Vega

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    HELP.....The Azimuth and Altitude of Star Vega

What is the azimuth and altitude of the star vega because i am not sure I got the right star so could anyone help me?

over the course of three days does the Azimuth and Altitude stay the same of is it different and why?

Secondly.... What about if you were to observe the same star at the same time of day three
    months from now? Where do you think it would be with respect to where it is
    now? Briefly explain your reasoning.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: HELP.....The Azimuth and Altitude of Star Vega

The azimuth and altitude of a star vary minute-minute, that's why we use right ascension and declination. The declination of a star is fixed.
    You will also need to understand local sidereal time - wiki has good articles.

The second part sounds like a homework question

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Confused: you are asking for a particular star position for at least the second time. There are plenty of programs in which you enter your geographical position, time, and they show sky maps. Just google them or visit tucows or something. Just try. It is 15 minutes effort.

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

What is the name of that site it could really help me.......thanks! I just need to know where to look....it is not that i do not want to do it but i cannot find anything to help and this sounds like a great thing to do.....i really appreciate it

6. Sep 22, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Just google sky map, plenty of hits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?