Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding landau damping derivation

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    I have been given a derivation describing the physics of landau damping, but i don't quite understand it. It starts with the equation for a charged particle in a 1d electric field varying as Eexp[i(kx-wt)] being determined by d2x/dx2=e/m Eexp[i(wt-kx)].

Since we are dealing with a linearized theory in which the perturbation due to the wave
    is small, it follows that if the particle starts with velocity u0 at position x0 then we may
    substitute x0+u0 t for x in the electric field term. This is actually the position of the particle on its unperturbed trajectory, starting at x = x0 at t = 0. Thus, we obtain

du/dt=e/m Eexp[i (kx0+ku0 t−ωt)] [1]

I understand it up till this point, the next part leaves me confused.

equation [1] yields:

u − u0 =e/m E [[exp i(kx0+ku0 t−ωt) − exp ikx0)]/i(ku0 − ω)]

As k u0 − ω → 0, the above expression reduces to

u − u0 =e/m Et exp ik x0

showing that particles with u0 close to ω/k, that is with velocity components along the
    x-axis close to the phase velocity of the wave, have velocity perturbations which grow in
    time. These so-called resonant particles gain energy from, or lose energy to, the wave, and are responsible for the damping.

I have attached the derivation that is in my textbook as a seperate file, If anyone could point me in the right direction to understanding this it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

To simplify let Δ = ku0 - ω. Eq [1] is du/dt = e/m Eeikx0 (eiΔt). Integrating the parenthesis wrt t gives u - u0 = e/m Eeikx0 (eiΔt/iΔ). Then to evaluate the limit Δ → 0 we use l'Hopital's rule. Diffierentiate numerator and denominator of the () wrt Δ and get u - u0 = e/m Eeikx0 (it/i), which is what you have.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the speedy response, very much appreciated!

5. May 14, 2012 #4
    one more thing i forgot to ask, what does u-u0 represent and how does this show that electrons with velocities u0 close to the phase velocity of the wave have pertubations that grow in time?

Best Wishes

G

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook