Help w/ simple dimensional analysis

In summary: G.In summary, the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two bodies is F = G * M1 * M2 / r^2, where F is the magnitude of the force, M1 and M2 are the masses of the bodies, r is the distance between them, and G is the gravitational constant. In SI units, the units of force are kg*m/s^2, the units of mass are kg, and the units of distance are m. To ensure consistent units, the units of G must be solved for by plugging in the given units for F, M1, M2, and r in the equation.
CocoonOHorror

Homework Statement

where F is the magnitude of the gravitational attraction on either body, m_1 and m_2 are the masses of the bodies, r is the distance between them, and G is the gravitational constant. In SI units, the units or force are kg* m/s^2, the units of mass are kg, and the units of distance are m. For this equation to have consistent units, the units of G must be which of the following?

Homework Equations

F=GM_1M_2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to begin. it seems to me they should give me the dimensions of mass and force, but they dont.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plug in the units and solve for the gravitational constant.

CocoonOHorror said:
...it seems to me they should give me the dimensions of mass and force, but they dont.

Actually they do give that information:
CocoonOHorror said:
In SI units, the units or force are kg*m/s^2, the units of mass are kg,...

Redbelly98 said:
Actually they do give that information:

those are the dimensions?

man, i reall don't understand the question then

physicsface said:
Plug in the units and solve for the gravitational constant.

Exactly. Plug in the units for F, M1, M2, and r in the equation,

CocoonOHorror said:
F=G M_1 M_2 / r^2

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to convert units from one system to another or to check the consistency of mathematical equations by analyzing the dimensions involved.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it helps ensure that calculations and equations are accurate and consistent. It also allows for easy conversion between different units, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and experimentation.

3. How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you need to identify the starting and desired units, write them as fractions, and then cancel out the common units to find the conversion factor. Once the conversion factor is determined, it can be multiplied by the starting value to get the desired unit.

4. What are some common units used in dimensional analysis?

Some common units used in dimensional analysis are length (meters, feet), mass (grams, pounds), time (seconds, minutes), and temperature (Kelvin, Celsius).

5. What are some real-life applications of dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is used in many real-life applications, such as converting between different units of measurement (e.g. from pounds to kilograms), calculating dosage for medication, and designing experiments in scientific research.