Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Wanted: Lab production of 2,6-Xylidine

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Lab production of 2,6-Xylidine appears to be difficult. Apparently either the production or reduction of 1,6-dimethyl nitrobenzene is "hard". Industrial production involves 50+ atmospheres of pressure, which falls far outside of my definition of "lab production".

I'm interested in taking a third approach: start with nitromesitylene.

Strategy 1: Somehow, magically, remove the methyl group that is para to the nitro group, then reduce the nitro group to an amine.
    Strategy 2: Reverse the steps above: Reduce, then demethylate the aminomesitylene

My questions for all you "real" chemists out there:
    1. How do I remove the correct methyl group from nitromesitylene?
    2. What challenges do I face in reducing it to an amine? Reducing 4-nitrotoluene acid to 4-aminotoluene isn't too difficult, I hear. I assume the additional methyl groups are the cause of any difficulty?
    Thank you in advance - Any help or pointers gratefully accepted
    -Jeff Evarts

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

As this molecule is a precursor to lidocaine, we prefer not discussing its synthesis on PhysicsForums.

For more details, our guidelines concerning chemical activities can be found here.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook