Help with a Conservation of Energy Question

In summary, a clown with a mass of 52.0kg is launched vertically from a springloaded cannon with a spring constant of 3.5x103N/m. The clown reaches a height of 4.5m above the initial position. To find the distance the spring was compressed before launch, we can use the equation mgh=1/2kx2 and solve for x, which gives us a distance of 1.145m. To find the maximum acceleration of the clown during launch, we can use energy methods and find the point where the net force is at its maximum. For the maximum speed of the clown, we need to know the acceleration first. Any help in solving for the acceleration would be appreciated
jessicak

Homework Statement

A circus clown of mass 52.0kg is launched vertically from a springloaded cannon with spring constant 3.5x103N/m. The clown attains a height of 4.5m above the initial position (when the spring was compressed).
a) How far was the spring compressed before launch?
b) what is the maximum acceleration of the clown during launch?
c) what is the maximum speed of the clown?

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to part a (1.145m) using the relation above, but I am stuck on acceleration. I know I can find speed if I know acceleration. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate speed by using energy methods...at what point is speed at its maximum? For max acceleration, at what point is the net force at a maximum? that's where a_max ocurs, found by using Newton 2.

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to real-life situations?

The conservation of energy is applicable in all natural and man-made systems. For example, energy is conserved in a swinging pendulum, a moving car, or even a chemical reaction.

3. Can energy be lost or wasted in a system?

No, energy cannot be lost or wasted in a closed system. It can only be converted into a different form, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

4. How is the conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is a direct consequence of the conservation of energy. It states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant, and can only be transferred or converted.

5. What are some real-life examples of the conservation of energy?

Some common examples of the conservation of energy in daily life include turning on a light bulb, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. In all these cases, energy is converted from one form to another, but the total amount of energy remains unchanged.