Help with a few homework questions on force:

In summary, the moonshine expands more than the glass when it warms up, in such a way that the volume increases by 0.6% (ΔV/V0 = 6 ✕ 10-3) relative to the space available.
Edemardil

Homework Statement

1) A moonshiner makes the error of filling a glass jar to the brim and capping it tightly. The moonshine expands more than the glass when it warms up, in such a way that the volume increases by 0.6% (that is, ΔV/V0 = 6 ✕ 10-3) relative to the space available. Calculate the force exerted by the moonshine per square centimeter if the bulk modulus is 1.9 ✕ 109 N/m2, assuming the jar does not break.
Answer --- N/cm2

I basically re read the textbook for that and got no where. I have no equations and don't know where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
such problems should be posted one per thread, otherwise things can get confusing.

phinds said:
such problems should be posted one per thread, otherwise things can get confusing.

Ok, is that better? Do you have any help for me?

Edemardil said:
Ok, is that better? Do you have any help for me?

Not yet. You deleted part of the template and you did not show your attempt at solution.

We are not allowed to just give you the answer. We help with hints or showing where you went wrong, but you have to do the work. So please post your attempt at solution, and the next time fill out the whole template.

Edemardil said:
I basically re read the textbook for that and got no where. I have no equations and don't know where to start.
What textbook are you using? Every intro physics book I've seen introduces an equation with a constant and then tells you the constant is called the bulk modulus. Does your book really just throw that constant out there without telling you what it represents?

Here's a place to start: What is the meaning of the bulk modulus? Have this question in mind when you read the textbook again. Reading tends to be more effective when you're looking for specific information. Come back and tell us in your own words your understanding of what the bulk modulus represents.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force calculated?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. The formula for force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational force, applied force, normal force, frictional force, tension force, and spring force. Each type of force acts in a specific way on an object.

4. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How does force affect an object's motion?

Force can change an object's motion in several ways. It can cause an object to speed up, slow down, change direction, or remain at rest. The magnitude and direction of the force will determine the resulting motion of the object.