Help with a more difficult Fluid Dynamics Problem involving Bernoulli's equation

In summary, the problem involves a water pipe with different diameters at each end and two vertical pipes attached, with water flowing through at high pressure. The goal is to find the height difference between the water levels in the two vertical pipes using Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation. However, the calculated difference is not correct and further examination is needed.
RobL14

Homework Statement

Consider a water pipe that tapers down from a diameter d_A = 5.0 cm at end A to a diameter d_B = 2.5 cm at end B. At each end a vertical pipe that is open to the air at the top is attached to the pipe. Assume that water flows through the pipe at high enough pressure that the vertical pipes 1 and 2 are partially filled with water.

If the water enters the pipe at point A with a velocity v_A = 2.0 m/s, what is the height difference between the levels in the two vertical pipes? If the difference is not zero, please indicate which pipe has the higher level.

Homework Equations

[tex]
P + \rho gh + \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 = C
[/tex]

[tex]
A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found using the continuity equation that v_b = 8 m/s.

In the first equation, I am applying Bernoulli's equation; the water begins in the wider pipe A and then flows into the thinner pipe B, which is raised a height (d_A - d_B) relative to pipe A.

In the second and third equations, I've applied Bernoulli's equation with the assumption that I know P_A and P_B, which I don't, but having three equations will let me cancel them. Using the first three equations, I can eliminate (P_A - P_B) and solve for (h_A - h_B). When I do that, though, I get that (h_A - h_B) = (d_A - d_B) = 2.5cm, which can't be right.

[tex]
P_A + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_A^2 = P_B + \rho g\left( {d_A - d_B } \right) + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_B^2 \\
[/tex]

[tex]
P_A + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_A^2 = P_0 + \rho gh_A
[/tex]

[tex]
P_B + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_B^2 = P_0 + \rho gh_B
[/tex]

From 1:

[tex]
P_A - P_B = \rho g\left( {d_A - d_B } \right) + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_B^2 - \frac{1}{2}\rho v_A^2
[/tex]From 2+3:

[tex]
P_A - P_B = \frac{1}{2}\rho v_B^2 - \frac{1}{2}\rho v_A^2 + \rho gh_A - \rho gh_B
[/tex]

After solving:

[tex]
0 = \rho g\left( {d_A - d_B } \right) - \rho g\left( {h_A - h_B } \right) \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\left( {h_A - h_B } \right) = \left( {d_A - d_B } \right) = 2.5cm \\
[/tex]

So what am I misunderstanding or doing wrong here? I must not "get" this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RobL14 said:
From 1:

[tex]
P_A - P_B = \rho g\left( {d_A - d_B } \right) + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_B^2 - \frac{1}{2}\rho v_A^2
[/tex]
Looks good. Just go ahead and calculate PA-PB from this.

Also, are you sure the two ends are at different heights? Does a figure you have clearly show that to be the case?

What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it used in fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, meaning that as the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

What are some common difficulties encountered when using Bernoulli's equation in fluid dynamics problems?

Some common difficulties include assuming ideal conditions when in reality they may not be applicable, neglecting certain factors such as friction or turbulence, and not properly applying the equation to the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully consider all factors and assumptions when using Bernoulli's equation in order to obtain accurate results.

How can one approach a more difficult fluid dynamics problem involving Bernoulli's equation?

When facing a more difficult fluid dynamics problem involving Bernoulli's equation, it is important to first carefully analyze the problem and identify all relevant factors and assumptions. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and solve them individually before combining the solutions to obtain an overall solution.

What are some applications of Bernoulli's equation in real-world situations?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of aircraft wings, pipes, and pumps. It is also used in calculating the flow of fluids through various systems, such as in hydraulics, ventilation, and irrigation. Additionally, it is used in weather forecasting and studying the movement of air and water in the atmosphere and oceans.

Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using Bernoulli's equation in fluid dynamics?

Yes, there are several limitations and assumptions to consider when using Bernoulli's equation. These include assuming the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and steady-state. Additionally, Bernoulli's equation does not account for factors such as turbulence, viscosity, and compressibility, which may affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to carefully consider these limitations and assumptions when applying the equation to real-world situations.