1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with calculus sequence at OSU!

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone,

I will be attending OSU starting in the winter as a transfer student. I have been looking to do honors math there and just maybe double major in computer science if possible. I will have already taken calculus I + II at a four year institute which I myself might say is comparable to a community college. (Things happened in high school but I finally got my life back together.) I feel my understanding of calculus might not be as strong as those who started their college career at OSU.

The problem I have is that the calculus sequence I want to take called Elementary Analysis which is taught with Micheal Spivak's Calculus textbook (which many have recommended on here from what I have seen) begins in the fall. In other words, if I decide to take it, I wont be able to start on my calculus sequence until after two quarters at OSU.

I have started studying from the textbook myself and I really really really enjoy it but I would really enjoy that much more going through it with a class and a professor. The regular calculus sequence is taught with Stewart's Calculus textbook which I used in high school and found to be a lot less challenging than I was comfortable with.

Would it be a smart idea to wait two semesters before starting my calculus sequence? Should I just sit in for the regular calculus sequence until the fall and then take it? Do you think maybe I should just stick with the easier one and not take it at all?

I really want to take it but I don't want to extend my stay at OSU due to that fact that I am attending as an out of state student and my pockets are not deep enough to accommodate a whole extra year at OSU. What do you think? Can I do it? (Sorry for all the rambling.)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    Are you talking about Ohio state university or Oklahoma state university?

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to do this, but you might want to try taking 547, which is offered in the winter, and the courses that follow. I'm pretty sure that it's equivalent to the 191 sequence, except intended for upperclassman rather than freshman. Also, OSU is switching to semesters in fall 2012 so you should probably take that into consideration.

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4
    I meant Ohio State University. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

The main reason I would like to take 191 is because it is taught with Spivak's calculus textbook which I find very interesting but just a bit too intense. I would like to think that I can do it myself but in all honesty, it'll probably take me three times as long as it would take me if I did it with a professor.

Thanks for letting me know about the semester thing though. Would that lengthen my study period even more?

6. Aug 17, 2011 #5
    I'm confused, are you saying that you may want to take elementary analysis and then the regular calculus sequence?

Regardless, I think if you want to do honors math, take the Spivak course, or an equivalent intro analysis course. If you work hard, especially early on in your study of analysis, you will not be behind the students who have been exposed to calculus at OSU.

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6
    Actually, after hearing stories from friends it might be best for you to wait until fall 2012 before taking any year-long sequences (I don't actually go to OSU but a lot of my friends do and I took a few classes there a couple years ago). It sounds as if the transition to semesters is pretty messy.

8. Aug 17, 2011 #7
    That is exactly what I want to do! The problem is that the Spivak course is a three quarter course and the first course is only in the fall. =(. I will be starting in the winter.

Ouch. Sounds like I might have transferred at the wrong time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook