Help with determining Angle of Rotation for a Conic, please.

In summary, the person is trying to find the angle of rotation to eliminate the xy-term in an equation of a conic. They use the formula cot 2(theta) = (A-C)/B and solve for theta. However, they end up with a negative angle and are unsure if it satisfies the condition of 0 < theta < 90 degrees. They are wondering if there is something else they need to know in order to find the correct angle.
popsquare
I am looking for the angle needed to rotate the conic to eliminate the xy-term
but the angle I find is negative and I need the counter-clockwise angle of rotation to satisfy 0 < theta < 90 degrees. Where am I going wrong? Or what else do I need to know? Thank you for your help.

I have this equation of a conic and I am supposed to find only the angle of rotation with this formula:

cot 2(theta) = A - C / B

The equation I am using is this:

153x^2 - 192 xy + 97y^2 - 30x -40y - 200 = 0​

I then solve for theta plugging these A = 153 , B = -192 , C = 97 into
cot 2(theta) = A - C / B

I get this equation: cot 2(theta) = -56/192

Let theta = 2*theta

Then :
cot theta = -56/192

I take the inverse tangent to find 2*theta and then solve for theta like this:
arctan ( 192/-56) = -73.7398 degrees

Remember I let theta = 2*theta

-73.7398 = 2*theta

theta = -37 degrees.

Is there a way for -37 degrees to satisfy the original question?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If one axis of the ellipse is at -37 degrees then the other axis, at right angles to that, is 90- 37= 53 degrees.

i get it, thank you very much.

What is the angle of rotation for a conic?

The angle of rotation for a conic is the angle between the major axis of the conic and the horizontal axis.

How is the angle of rotation determined for a conic?

The angle of rotation for a conic is determined by finding the slope of the major axis and using the inverse tangent function to calculate the angle.

Why is it important to determine the angle of rotation for a conic?

The angle of rotation for a conic is important because it helps determine the orientation and shape of the conic, which can provide valuable information in various fields such as astronomy and engineering.

Can the angle of rotation for a conic be negative?

Yes, the angle of rotation for a conic can be negative if it is measured in a clockwise direction from the horizontal axis. However, conventionally it is measured in a counterclockwise direction and is therefore typically positive.

Is there a specific formula for determining the angle of rotation for a conic?

Yes, the formula for determining the angle of rotation for a conic is arctan(b/a), where b is the slope of the major axis and a is the slope of the minor axis.