Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Escape Velocity Problem

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    I know that escape velocity is given by v^2 = 2GM/r

My question is what is the approximate escape speed needed to completely escape the moon & earth's gravity.

Is it the sum of their individual Escape velocities? or is it one equation, with the radius' added and masses added?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would add the escape velocities, the value for the moon is pretty small anyway

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    Yea I was thinking that something (i.e moons EV) would be negligable since the question asked for the approximate value. But are you sure of that? Wouldn't it make sense astronomically - for something to escape moon's and earths gravity - that's on the moon, to have to travel slightly slower than earth's EV since now we are much farther away?

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I read it to mean at a great distance from both whats the escape velocity, ie. of the earth-moon system, in which case the earth and moon's masses add so you can approx add their escape Vs

6. Jan 25, 2009 #5
    The exact wording of my problem is as follows:

"assuming one wished to escape completely from both the moon and earth's gravity, what would the approximate escape speed be from the moon?"

7. Jan 25, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thats why I would regard it as a single object - and so for a first approximation add the escape Vs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?