Derive Escape Velocity GR: Source for Schwarzschild Metric

In summary, the escape velocity in relativity is the same as in classical physics, but differs by a factor (1 - r_s/r).
snoopies622
TL;DR Summary
Wondering how to find the escape velocity formula consistent with relativity.
I was surprised to read that the formula for escape velocity — at least for a spherical mass like the Earth — is the same in relativity as it is in classical physics:
[tex]
v_e = (2GM/r)^{1/2}
[/tex]
I'm wondering if someone can give me a good source for deriving this. (I assume one takes a radial geodesic starting at rest from infinity using the Schwarzschild metric and finding its velocity at radius r?) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
I'm wondering if someone can give me a good source for deriving this.

Many GR textbooks give this as a homework problem.

snoopies622 said:
(I assume one takes a radial geodesic starting at rest from infinity using the Schwarzschild metric and finding its velocity at radius r?)

Yes.

Thanks Peter, actually I was hoping for a link to something on the internet since my college physics library is still semi-closed due to the Covid-19.

Carroll's lecture notes, around equations 7.43 to 7.48 for the geodesic equation. Read back a bit for definitions of ##E##, ##L##, ##\epsilon##.

Likes dsaun777 and snoopies622
Epilogue:

I had forgotten about this, but using a couple equations found here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_geodesics

and substituting, I get that the escape velocity isn't exactly the same as the Newtonian result (see OP) but differs by a factor [itex] (1 - r_{s}/r) [/itex].

All I did was find E by setting dr/dT = 0, h (angular momentum) =0 and r=infinity in the given

[tex]
\frac {dr}{dT} = E^2/m^2 c^2 - (1 - r_{s}/r)(c^2 + h^2 / r^2)
[/tex]

and then let [itex] v^2 = (dr/dT)^2 / (dt/dT)^2 [/itex]

with [itex] (1 - r_{s}/r) = (dt/dT) (E/mc^2) [/itex]

snoopies622 said:
using a couple equations found here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_geodesics

and substituting, I get that the escape velocity isn't exactly the same as the Newtonian result (see OP) but differs by a factor [itex] (1 - r_{s}/r) [/itex].
This is not correct. The formula in your OP is correct.

snoopies622 said:
All I did was find E by setting dr/dT = 0, h (angular momentum) =0 and r=infinity in the given

[tex]
\frac {dr}{dT} = E^2/m^2 c^2 - (1 - r_{s}/r)(c^2 + h^2 / r^2)
[/tex]

and then let [itex] v^2 = (dr/dT)^2 / (dt/dT)^2 [/itex]

with [itex] (1 - r_{s}/r) = (dt/dT) (E/mc^2) [/itex]
That doesn't give you escape velocity. Escape velocity is just ##dr / dT##. What you are calculating here, ##dr / dt##, is just a coordinate velocity and has no direct physical meaning.

Thanks Peter, I'm relieved to hear this since i just noticed that my dr/dt formula gives an escape velocity of zero at the surface of a Schwarzschild black hole!

1. What is the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is a mathematical description of the curvature of spacetime around a non-rotating spherical mass, such as a black hole. It is named after the German physicist Karl Schwarzschild who first derived it in 1916.

2. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, such as a planet or star. It is dependent on the mass and radius of the body, as well as the distance from its center.

3. How is escape velocity calculated using the Schwarzschild metric?

The escape velocity can be calculated using the equation ve = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the center of the object. This equation is derived from the Schwarzschild metric, which takes into account the effects of spacetime curvature near a massive object.

4. What does the GR in "Derive Escape Velocity GR: Source for Schwarzschild Metric" stand for?

The GR in this context stands for General Relativity, which is the theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. It describes how massive objects warp the fabric of spacetime, and how this curvature affects the motion of objects.

5. Why is the Schwarzschild metric important in understanding black holes?

The Schwarzschild metric is important in understanding black holes because it accurately describes the spacetime curvature around these objects. It also allows us to calculate important quantities, such as the event horizon and escape velocity, which are crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of black holes.