1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help With Find The Cardinality of a Power Set of a Cartesian Product

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that A and B are finite sets.
    What is |P(AxB)|? Meaning what is the cardinality of the power set of a cartesian product of the sets A and B.

2. Relevant equations

|AxB|=|A| * |B| since A and B are finite sets
    Power set of a set is the set of all subsets of that set, including the empty set and the set itself
    There are 2^|A| subsets for a set A when A is finite

3. The attempt at a solution

Since A and B are finite sets, we have |AxB|=|A| * |B|. Now the power set of (AxB) is the set of all its subsets, including the empty set and the set AxB itself. Since A and B are both finite sets, there is also a finite number of subsets of (AxB). By letting C=AxB, there are exactly 2^|C| subsets. Thus |P(AxB)|=2^|AxB|=2^(|A| * |B|)

This is what I have.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks fine to me.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's just fine.

5. Mar 5, 2013 #4
    I have a similar question asking what the |P(A)xP(B)| is. Can I ask that in this thread, or do I have to start another thread?

6. Mar 5, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You never HAVE to start another thread. It's usually recommended if the problem is unrelated but this one isn't. Ask here.

7. Mar 5, 2013 #6
    The question asks what is |P(A)xP(B)|. This is asking what is the cardinality of the cartesian product of the power set of A and power set of B. I'm having some trouble deciphering this.

I let C=P(A) and D=P(B). Then, |CxD|=|C| * |D| since once again A and B are both finite sets, meaning their respective power sets, C and D, are also finite sets.

So, |P(A)xP(B)|=2^C * 2^D

That is what I have.

8. Mar 5, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem again. That's correct.

9. Mar 5, 2013 #8
    Dick, are you saying that the syntax or form looks correct, or do you believe that is the correct answer?

So simplyifying it, it would be |P(A)xP(B)|=2^|C| * 2^|D|=2^2^|A| * 2^2^|B|

10. Mar 5, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I was reading too fast. It's 2^|A|*2^|B|. |C|=2^|A| and |D|=2^|B|. |CxD|=|C||D|.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted