Help with finding all real solutions

• Thread starter akp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding real solutions for the equation x^4 - 8x^2 + 2 = 0 and suggests using the quadratic formula or the factor/remainder theorem. The use of substitution is also mentioned and the use of complex numbers is debated. The conversation also mentions the importance of keeping track of complex roots to assist in finding real roots.
akp

Homework Statement

x^4 - 8x^2 + 2 = 0

Homework Equations

quadratic formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

i would've tried using the quadratic formula, but I am not sure if this would work with that seeing as how it's not ax^2 + bx + c

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to use the factor/remainder theorem.

The example equation is in quadratic form, or something like it. First, you may use a substitution, something like, t=x^2. This can give you like, this:

t^2 - 8t + 2 = 0

Now, you can solve THAT one and you may obtain two solutions, but those solutions are for t. Now, solve each of those solutions for x (remember to first replace t with x^2 )

The polynomial fortunately is quadratic, but in x2.

If u = x2 then you have x4 -8x2 + 2 = u2 - 8u + 2 = 0.

You can use the quadratic formula to solve for x2 keeping in mind that any negative roots from the formula must be discarded since x2 can never be negative.

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
...keeping in mind that any negative roots from the formula must be discarded since x2 can never be negative.

--Elucidus

We have this field now called complex numbers that has negitive squares.
i^2=-1 for example

lurflurf said:
We have this field now called complex numbers that has negitive squares.
i^2=-1 for example

The thread title is "help with finding all real solutions" so I figured that complex solutions weren't needed.

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
The thread title is "help with finding all real solutions" so I figured that complex solutions weren't needed.

--Elucidus

Good point. I like to keep track of the complex roots to assist in tracking the real roots. The fundamental theorem of a algebra impies each complex root means one less real root to find.

1. What are real solutions?

Real solutions refer to the values of a variable in an equation that satisfy the given equation and make it a true statement.

2. How do I find all real solutions?

To find all real solutions, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula. You can also use graphical methods by plotting the equation and finding the points where it intersects the x-axis.

3. Are there always real solutions for every equation?

No, not every equation has real solutions. Some equations may have complex solutions, while others may have no solutions at all. It depends on the nature of the equation and the values of the variables.

4. Can I use a calculator to find real solutions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find real solutions. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in finding real solutions using algebraic or graphical methods to avoid errors.

5. Why is it important to find all real solutions?

Finding all real solutions is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a given equation and determine the different values of the variable that satisfy it. This can be useful in solving real-life problems and making informed decisions.