Help with finding parallel vectors

In summary, the question asks for the value of n and m such that u,v are parallel, but the solution for the perpendicular problem is just "(2i+mj-10k) . (i-3j+nk)=0".
Aske

Homework Statement

The question states "let u= 2i+mj-10k and v=i-3j+nk, find the value of n and m such that u,v are parallel", the second part states asks the same but "u,v are perpendicular"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use a dot product solution I guess, because vectors u+v should equal 0 when perpendicular. I'm lost on what to actually do. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the definition of the dot product:

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z[/tex]

As you correctly stated, for two perpendicular vectors, the dot product is 0.

Let two vectors, [tex]\vec w, \vec q[/tex] be parallel. That means that they're both in the same direction, and therefore, they only differ by some scalar factor R (For instance, [tex]\vec q[/tex] could be 2 times longer than [tex]\vec w[/tex] (R=2) or it could be the same length, but anti-parallel (A negative R value of -1 would achieve that goal) or 2 times longer, but anti-parallel (R=-2)).

So in general, we can write: [tex]\vec q=R\vec w[/tex]
Note that we've written a vector equation. That's actually 3 scalar equations in one. Simply solve for your three variables, [tex]R, m, n[/tex] and you're done.

What's important is that you understand how we've identified parallel\anti-parallel vectors and perpendicular ones. Are these two points clear to you?

If two vectors

u=x1 i +y1 j + z1 k and v=x2 i +y2 j + z2 k

are parallel, then one of them is a multiple of the other

u=a*v (a is a scalar).

That means the same for all components:

x1=a*x2
y2=a*y2
z1=a*z2.

The two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is 0 which means

x1x2 + y1y2+ z1z2 = 0.

ehild

RoyalCat said:
Remember the definition of the dot product:

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z[/tex]

As you correctly stated, for two perpendicular vectors, the dot product is 0.

Let two vectors, [tex]\vec w, \vec q[/tex] be parallel. That means that they're both in the same direction, and therefore, they only differ by some scalar factor R (For instance, [tex]\vec q[/tex] could be 2 times longer than [tex]\vec w[/tex] (R=2) or it could be the same length, but anti-parallel (A negative R value of -1 would achieve that goal) or 2 times longer, but anti-parallel (R=-2)).

So in general, we can write: [tex]\vec q=R\vec w[/tex]
Note that we've written a vector equation. That's actually 3 scalar equations in one. Simply solve for your three variables, [tex]R, m, n[/tex] and you're done.

What's important is that you understand how we've identified parallel\anti-parallel vectors and perpendicular ones. Are these two points clear to you?
I somewhat understand what you are saying, so are you saying I need to isolate the unknowns? I still don't fully understand this.

Yes, solve the linear system of equations.

Ok, trying this with the perpendicular qustion it'd be "(2i+mj-10k) . (i-3j+nk)=0". I would have 2 unknowns, how would I solve this. I still don't know how to go about the parallel question.

1. What are parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are two or more vectors that have the same direction. This means that they either point in the same direction or in the opposite direction.

2. How do I find parallel vectors?

To find parallel vectors, you can use the cross product or dot product of the given vectors. If the cross product is equal to zero, then the vectors are parallel. If the dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the vectors, then the vectors are parallel.

3. What is the difference between parallel and collinear vectors?

Parallel vectors have the same direction while collinear vectors lie on the same line. This means that all collinear vectors are parallel, but not all parallel vectors are collinear.

4. Can two vectors with different magnitudes be parallel?

Yes, as long as the two vectors have the same direction, they can still be considered parallel. The magnitude of a vector only determines its length, not its direction.

5. In what scenarios are parallel vectors commonly used?

Parallel vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in mechanics and kinematics. They are also used in geometry to determine properties of shapes and figures.