1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with finding parallel vectors

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question states "let u= 2i+mj-10k and v=i-3j+nk, find the value of n and m such that u,v are parallel", the second part states asks the same but "u,v are perpendicular"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use a dot product solution I guess, because vectors u+v should equal 0 when perpendicular. I'm lost on what to actually do. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    Remember the definition of the dot product:

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z[/tex]

As you correctly stated, for two perpendicular vectors, the dot product is 0.

Let two vectors, [tex]\vec w, \vec q[/tex] be parallel. That means that they're both in the same direction, and therefore, they only differ by some scalar factor R (For instance, [tex]\vec q[/tex] could be 2 times longer than [tex]\vec w[/tex] (R=2) or it could be the same length, but anti-parallel (A negative R value of -1 would achieve that goal) or 2 times longer, but anti-parallel (R=-2)).

So in general, we can write: [tex]\vec q=R\vec w[/tex]
    Note that we've written a vector equation. That's actually 3 scalar equations in one. Simply solve for your three variables, [tex]R, m, n[/tex] and you're done.

What's important is that you understand how we've identified parallel\anti-parallel vectors and perpendicular ones. Are these two points clear to you?

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If two vectors

u=x1 i +y1 j + z1 k and v=x2 i +y2 j + z2 k

are parallel, then one of them is a multiple of the other

u=a*v (a is a scalar).

That means the same for all components:

x1=a*x2
    y2=a*y2
    z1=a*z2.

The two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is 0 which means

x1x2 + y1y2+ z1z2 = 0.

ehild

5. Feb 21, 2010 #4
    I somewhat understand what you are saying, so are you saying I need to isolate the unknowns? I still don't fully understand this.

6. Feb 21, 2010 #5
    Yes, solve the linear system of equations.

7. Feb 21, 2010 #6
    Ok, trying this with the perpendicular qustion it'd be "(2i+mj-10k) . (i-3j+nk)=0". I would have 2 unknowns, how would I solve this. I still don't know how to go about the parallel question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook