Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Help with how to start Stargazing

1. Jul 10, 2018 #1
    Hello friends,

I am here to ask for your humble tips and techniques before I can start my journey towards the Sky.
    I have been passionate about Astronomy, I always adore the stars and I have now decided to observe them with me very eyes. Do you have any suggestions for a beginner equipment that I must have?

Cheers,
    Austin

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2018 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 10, 2018 #3
  5. Jul 10, 2018 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

A telescope is good, but I would start with the naked eye and a good pair of binoculars. Go out each night with a star map and try to identify the stars and constellations. Get a feeling for how the stars rise and set. Try to identify the major planets. When will the moon rise and set tonight? You should be able to get to the point where you are comfortable finding objects in the sky.

6. Jul 10, 2018 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Telescope would be more help than Binoculars; better magnification possible. You want at least 400 to 500 power magnification. The advice about learning where things are in the sky is correct. You will not see much looking at any individual star through the telescope. They will only appear like tiny white shaky dots which quickly move out of your telescope view. Viewing planets through telescope is a different story. They will be blurry, but still impressive.

7. Jul 10, 2018 #6

russ_watters

I agree with the telescope idea, but not the magnification you recommend. First off, magnification can be changed easily, so it isn't an important number to state as the spec of a telescope (most important; aperture). Second, you need a really big telescope for that magnification range to be useful. For example, unless the seeing is exceptionally good, the sweet spot for my 11" telescope is about 186x. That's enough to make Jupiter, though the telescope, look 4x the size of the moon to the naked eye. And that magnification is only useful for planets and sometimes the moon.

8. Jul 10, 2018 #7

phyzguy

Science Advisor

As russ_waters says, there are very few things in the sky that will bear 400-500X magnification in an amateur telescope. I find that most people who purchase amateur telescopes are disappointed. What they see looks nothing like the images they are used to seeing on the internet. Before you shell out the money for a telescope, it is worth thinking about what exactly you expect to see. If you start with a good pair of binoculars and learn the sky, you can gain experience, so when you buy (or make) a telescope you will have an idea of what it is capable of showing you.

9. Jul 10, 2018 #8
    I really appreciate this advice. But somebody suggested to me to get a 8" Dobsonian Telescope instead of the 25x100 Binocular. Says, it's way better.

10. Jul 10, 2018 #9

russ_watters

...and if possible, find someone with a small telescope and look through theirs to get an idea of what you are in for. For me, it was borrowing my grandfather's 60x900 "K-Mart Special". After seeing Jupiter once, I instantly needed more and more and more. But my own 60x900 was my first and only scope for 10 years as a teenager and in my early 20s.

11. Jul 10, 2018 #10

russ_watters

It is. It's also way more expensive. If you have the money to burn and are ok with the chance - however small you think it is - that you may use it once and then put it in a closet for the next 20 years, go for it.

12. Jul 10, 2018 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I imagine you are right; but I really do not remember the actual magnifications I was using so long ago when I first used a telescope. I was only guessing about the "400 or 500 power" magnification. I just no longer remember what the magnification was that I had. I COULD open the case and look at the lenses labelings, but currently that is a chore.

13. Jul 10, 2018 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

you would have a lot of fun with an 8" Dobo, I had one for a number of years. They are inexpensive AU or US$ 400 - 700 depending on make and model.

After many, many years of experience, I also have to strongly disagree with that statement

You will have the most fun with magnification powers of x250 or less, often very much less. There are lots of big nebula and star clusters (open and globular) out there that around x 100 will be ample.
    If you get a Dobo, look at 3 eyepieces for a start, 15mm 25mm and a 40mm, plossels are a good type.

I would still heed @physguy 's comments about getting binoculars .... something around 7 x 50 and you will along with a star map program like Stellarium
    Get to a dark site away from city lights and skyglow, lie back in a deck chair and learn to find your way around the sky using a method that us old astronomers call star-hopping to find objects.

keep in touch in this thread

regards
    Dave

14. Jul 10, 2018 #13

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

davenn
    Like I said, I did not really remember the amount of magnification I had. I would need to open the old case and take a look.

15. Jul 11, 2018 #14
    You will learn more (and quicker) with just a *good* pair of 8x50 binoculars and a star chart. I would consider a pair of 10x50 or 10x60 but the higher magnification will give you problems with image stability when hand-held - mounting them on a tripod would help but it's a hassle and uncomfortable in use.

You could have lots of fun with a Dobsonian but you'll find that high magnifications are too dim to be very interesting. My favourite eye-pieces with my 10" Dob were 50mm, 40mm and 32mm - in that order!

16. Jul 11, 2018 #15
    Thank you so much for this, Dave. I would take note of this and to be honest. I am kinda leaning on having an 8" Telescope now, probably an Orion one. I'll update you when I have it soon.

Cheers,
    Austin :wink:

17. Jul 11, 2018 #16
    I see, that's nice! I am really hype to have one now. How long have you been doing this?

18. Jul 11, 2018 #17
    Hi Austin,

I got my 8x10 Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars 38 years ago. They're still in use!

I had a pair of 16x50's before that but they were impossible to hand-hold steadily and the exit pupil is noticeably smaller. 8x50's are great.

I got my first Dob (home-made using a 10" f/5 mirror) about 4 or 5 years later. By that point, I knew my way around the sky thanks to the 8x50's.

Another useful aid is a planisphere such as the Philip's one pictured on Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planisphere

Have fun!

19. Jul 12, 2018 #18
    I have a 8" Dobson and indeed I have a lot of fun with that: very good scope, not very expensive. However, keep in mind, that this monster has to be stored somewhere in your house, so make sure you have space for it and a good way to manipulate it outside :) It will also take some space in your car, in case you plan to travel for stargazing - I think there would be more suitable scopes for that purpose. If you are definitively convinced that this hobby is right for you, I really recommend it. But as already pointed out in many posts, in case you don't have any experience, for beginning some binoculars and star atlas would be wiser investment - just to see whether you can find any passion in this hobby, and to get familiar with the night sky.

20. Jul 12, 2018 #19
    Right, Thank you for this. Do you have any good Binoculars to recommend with?

Thanks,
    Austin

21. Jul 12, 2018 #20
    I got Bushnell Powerview 7x50, but I believe that any binos on the market should be good for this purpose (excluding "no name" items). Just have a look at stores available to you, surely some good price offers are available.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted