Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with installing cygwin on vista!

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    I searched up some instructions on the web on how to install cygwin. I downloaded cygwin, 1) clicked the "install from internet" option
    2) Clicked on "Just Me" and "Unix/binary" option
    3) went to the packages screen, and then clicked on the options listed under KDE (since my prof uses KDE)
    4) installed it a second time using "install from local directory option"
    5) downloaded these five files from http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/
    to C:\cygwin

qt-x11-free-3.3.4-1.tar.bz2
    kdelibs-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2
    kdebase-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2
    kdepim-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2
    kdesdk-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2

6) clicked on the desktop icon, "bash-3.2$" showed up. I typed
    cd c:\cygwin
    tar -C / -xjf qt-x11-free-3.3.4-1.tar.bz2

and it said tar: command not found

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    Go back and rerun the cygwin installer and look at the package list REALLY carefully. You have to specifically check every package you want to install, and it doesn't think to include by default a lot of packages that a linux distribution would consider critical. So probably you did not, in fact, install tar (and probably not bzip2 either).

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need the kde libs unless you are going to be building KDE apps on windows.
    KDE is a desktop toolkit (and a set of apps) on linux, it isn't needed to write ordinary command line programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook