Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Help with newly installed program on TI-89

Tags:
  1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    Is anyone familiar with the program "LM v1.0". It simplifies expressions via minterms. I have downloaded it and installed it on the TI-89, and I can find the program on the calculator. However, when I type in, exactly as the instructions say to, I get no output; that is, it merely displays what I had just typed. Kind of like typing a "2", hitting enter, then the screen displaying "2".

Here are the instructions:
    This program generates exact minimal SOP or POS expression from minterm or maxterm lists, using the Quine-McCluskey algorithm.

General syntax: lm(VARS, TERMS, DON'T-CARES, MODE)
    VARS: STRING of single-character variable names. e.g. "ABCD"
    TERMS: LIST of Minterms (in SOP mode) or Maxterms (in POS mode). e.g {1,3,5,6}
    DON'T CARES: (optional) LIST of Don't-care terms
    MODE: (optional) 0 for POS mode, 1 for SOP mode (default)

NOTE: the terms must be integers. Therefore, you MUST be in either EXACT or AUTO mode.
    If you forget the syntax, execute the program with no arguments: lm() to see the help screen.

Example 1:
    f(a,b,c,d) = Σm(4,5,6,7,8) + d(10,11,12,13,14,15)
    lm("abcd",{4,5,6,7,8},{10,11,12,13,14,15})
    returns "b+ad'"

Example 2:
    f(a,b,c,d) = ΠM(4,5,6,7,8) + d(10,11,12,13,14,15)
    lm("abcd",{4,5,6,7,8},{10,11,12,13,14,15},0)
    returns "(b')(a'+d)"

Now when I even type this exact in my calculator, it doesnt give me an output.

Here is what I type:
    "lm("abcd",{4,5,6,7,8},{10,11,12,13,14,15})"

Any ideas? Do I need to "activate" the program or something? Or is there some other area I should be typing this in?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2
    The author's email is simba<at>mad.scientist.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook