Help with Kinematics and Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a car accelerating at a constant rate of 4.5 m/s^2 over a distance of 45 m. The task is to find the time it takes for the car to cover this distance. This can be solved using the kinematics equation, or the quadratic formula. The quadratic formula is used to solve equations of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where x is the unknown variable. In this case, the unknown variable is time (t). Once the constants in the equation are matched up with the formula, the quadratic formula can be used to find the value of t.
amd123

Homework Statement

A car initially traveling at 15 m/s accelerates at a constant rate of 4.5 m/s^2 over a distance of 45 m. How long does it take the car to cover this distance?

Vi: 15 m/s
Vf: ___ m/s
A: 4.5 m/s^2
Delta D: 45 M
Delta T: ___ s

Homework Equations

I'm guessing I would have to use this Kinematics equation:
Delta D (Displacement) = Vi * Delta T (Time) + 1/2 * A * Delta T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried attempting this problem but had trouble rearranging the equation to solve for the missing variable T.

Could someone give me a basic rundown on HOW TO rearrange equations as I never really learned and or understood this concept.

Lastly, what are some good classical/intro physics textbooks I can buy/download as my school assigned us Glencoe's Physics : Principles and Problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's going to be quadratic, so you depending on how convinient your values are (not very convinient in this equation) you can solve it with normal factorising methods, or use the quadratic formula.

However if this is too difficult/confusing. You can always use:

[tex] V_f^2 = V_i^2 + 2as [/tex]

and then sub final velocity into:

[tex] V_f = V_i + at [/tex]

what is s?

anyone?

It shouldn't be that hard to use the quadratic formula to solve the equation you posted.

Show us how you substituted the given values into that equation

truth is i don't know how to use the quadratic forumla to solve this problem, I've never done something like this >_>

Well, you've already got:

45 m = 15 m/s * t + 1/2 * 4.5 m/s^2 * t^2

The quadratic formula applies to an equation of the form:
[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

In that equation, the unknown is x, in your equation the unknown is t. Can you match up the constants a, b, and c with the constants in your equation?

amd123 said:
what is s?

Oh yeah sorry I'm a bit unorthodox, I use s as displacement.

Just to confirm that you know the formula. [tex] \frac{-b\frac{+}{} \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} [/tex]

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. An object can accelerate if it changes its speed, direction, or both.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the change in velocity over a longer time period, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the change in velocity at a specific instant.

How does acceleration relate to other kinematic quantities?

Acceleration is related to other kinematic quantities such as velocity and displacement. It is the derivative of velocity and the second derivative of displacement with respect to time. This means that if you know the acceleration of an object, you can find its velocity by integrating the acceleration function, and you can find its displacement by integrating the velocity function.