Help with Magnetic Clutch design

In summary, the difference between flux density, field strength, and force at a given distance of magnets can be confusing. Flux density is measured from the cross-sectional area of the magnet and an N52 magnet will have a higher flux density than an N28 magnet. However, when looking at data sheets, the N28 magnet may generate a greater force for a given distance than the equivalent N52 magnet. For the strongest magnetic coupling and highest break-away torque, it is best to use N28 magnets and complete the magnetic circuit with iron segments outside the magnets. It is also important to have a non-magnetic magnet mount and consider using a spacer instead of an air gap for better control. Additionally, using paper or card as a spacer can reduce
LilEngineer
I'm just designing a simple magnetic clutch that i can can alter the Break-away force by changing the air gap between the two diametric magnets.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the practical difference between flux density, field strength and Force at a given distance of magnets… and how i apply the figures to my design.

As far as i understand, the flux density is measured from the cross sectional area through the magnet, and so an N52 will have a higher flux density than an N28 for neodymium magnets… but this is just relevant inside if the magnet.

However, when i look at data sheets for these magnets, the N28 appears to generate a greater force Fr for a given distance S than an Equivalent N52 magnet.

So if i want the strongest magnetic coupling and so the highest Break-away toque, am i right in saying that i should use N28 magnets?

thanks

MagCouple_zpsd2b415a5.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome.
Using N28 magnets, if you can still get them, will not give the strongest break-away torque.

The best way to improve torque will be to complete the magnetic circuit by placing two iron segments outside each magnet. That magnetic path will prevent saturation of the contacting surface, increase the radius and so the torque.

It is also important that the magnet mount be non-magnetic. That way the flux will flow through the coupling and not through the mount.

Rather than an air gap between the magnets you might consider a spacer such as paper or card. That will give better control of the gap. When not broken, the magnetic clutch will have a significant rotational phase difference for small loads. The friction component of paper may also be an advantage there as it will reduce slip of the magnet faces under low varying loads.

1. What is a magnetic clutch?

A magnetic clutch is a type of coupling mechanism that uses the magnetic force between two components to transfer torque and power. It is typically used to engage and disengage the power transmission between an engine and a driven component, such as a gearbox or a generator.

2. How does a magnetic clutch work?

A magnetic clutch works by creating a magnetic field between two components, one of which is connected to the engine and the other to the driven component. When the magnetic field is activated, the two components are magnetically attracted to each other, causing them to rotate together and transfer power.

3. What are the advantages of using a magnetic clutch?

One of the main advantages of using a magnetic clutch is its ability to provide smooth and precise power transfer. It also does not require physical contact between the two components, making it more durable and reducing wear and tear. Additionally, magnetic clutches can be designed to engage and disengage quickly, making them ideal for applications that require frequent start and stop cycles.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a magnetic clutch?

Some key factors to consider when designing a magnetic clutch include the type of magnet and magnetic material used, the design of the magnetic circuit, and the operating conditions such as torque, speed, and temperature. It is also important to consider the size and weight of the components, as well as the cost and availability of materials.

5. What are some common applications of magnetic clutches?

Magnetic clutches are commonly used in a variety of industrial and automotive applications, such as in power transmission systems, machine tools, printing presses, and automotive air conditioning systems. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as hard disk drives and audio equipment, to control the rotation and speed of components.