Help with Matrices Homework before Monday

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a question involving matrix multiplication. The student made an error in the first part of the question and is now seeking clarification on how to correctly solve the problem. The experts in the conversation provide guidance on the correct order of multiplying matrices and congratulate the student on asking a clear question with a helpful image.
zeldaspurpose

Homework Statement

1hc9pg.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with the second question, I did the first one correctly. My pre board is on Monday so please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at Q.2 you have not copied it correctly. Matrix multiplication does not commute.

The problem asks you to find the matrix product [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 4 & 5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. I have no idea what you found! You used the answer to the previous problem, MX, rather than M, and somehow multiplied x only by the "6x" in "6x- 3" rather than both?

I don't agree with Hallsoflvy.
##M = \begin{bmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 4 & 5\end{bmatrix}\ \ \begin{bmatrix}x \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} \ \ =\ \begin{bmatrix} (6x-3) \\ (4x+5)\end{bmatrix} ## as OP said.

##M \neq \begin{bmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 4 & 5\end{bmatrix}## as Hallsoflvy claims.

Therefore in part b, you are asked to find
##\begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix} M \ \ =\ \begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\ \begin{bmatrix} (6x-3) \\ (4x+5)\end{bmatrix}##
which is what neither said.
OP's error was to write ##M\ \begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix} ## instead of ##\begin{bmatrix}x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\ M##

Yes, I misread the first line!

Oh, now I understand! I always have a problem with reading the question properly. Thank you both!

Just remember, with matrices order is important.

And congratulations on asking the question clearly with a nice uploaded pic. Some questioners go on for a dozen posts or more before you find out what they actually need.

Likes zeldaspurpose

1. What are matrices used for?

Matrices are used to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are also used in solving systems of equations and in transformations in geometry.

2. How do I add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, you must make sure that they have the same dimensions (same number of rows and columns). Then, simply add or subtract corresponding elements of the matrices to get the resulting matrix.

3. Can I multiply any two matrices together?

No, in order to multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.

4. How do I find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you must first make sure that the matrix is square (same number of rows and columns). Then, use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method to reduce the matrix to its row echelon form. The resulting matrix will be the inverse of the original matrix.

5. What is the difference between a row and column matrix?

A row matrix is a matrix with only one row, while a column matrix is a matrix with only one column. They both have the same number of elements, but the order of the elements is different. In a row matrix, the elements are arranged horizontally, while in a column matrix, the elements are arranged vertically.