Help with mechanism choice please

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on finding a small, lightweight, fast, and electric device that can produce a downward force of at least 15 lbs with a travel distance of 1.5cm. They have considered using an actuator for an electric door lock, but it does not provide enough force and may not be sturdy enough. They are also open to using a rotary motor with an arm or a screw drive, but they are unsure about the torque and speed capabilities. They have also mentioned the possibility of using a solenoid and have provided some potential resources for finding surplus electric motors or linear actuators.
Parzibal
Hello, I hope you super-geniuses will please take a moment to point a layman in the right direction. If I can get past this sticking point I can complete the rest of this project myself.

I need something small (tennis ball sized or smaller, smaller is better), lightweight, fast, electric, and capable of producing downward force of about 15 lbs, more force is better. The travel distance need only be about 1.5cm. An actuator for an electric door lock for vehicles is close (and cheap,$5) but lacks the force (it produces 10 lbs) and does not seem robust enough.

The force does not necessarily need to go straight down, a small rotary motor with an arm that rotated would work, but I'm guessing the torque on a small motor would not be capable of producing significant force.

I really have no idea even what is available, any input is greatly appreciated, TIA.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
...another method might be a rotary motor powering a screw drive. The response needs to be fast tho, perhaps 1/8 sec. My travel distance of 1.5cm was on the long side, I may be able to get away with as little as 1cm. Is there a way to calculate how long it would take for a motor/screw combination to travel 1cm? Again I'm not an engineer but my instinct is that this method would also produce more force.

Thanx for the response. I stumbled around on my own & found that a solenoid is exactly what I was looking for.

1. What is a mechanism?

A mechanism is a system of parts working together to accomplish a specific function or movement. In science, mechanisms are often used to explain how a process or reaction occurs.

2. How do I choose the best mechanism for my experiment?

When choosing a mechanism for an experiment, it is important to consider the purpose of the experiment, the variables involved, and any existing theories or research in the field. A mechanism should also be testable and able to accurately explain the results of the experiment.

3. What factors should I consider when selecting a mechanism?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a mechanism include the simplicity and complexity of the mechanism, its accuracy in explaining the observed phenomena, and its ability to be tested and replicated.

4. Can I use multiple mechanisms in my experiment?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple mechanisms in an experiment, as long as they are complementary and help to explain different aspects of the observed phenomena. However, it is important to clearly define and distinguish between the different mechanisms used.

5. How can I validate my chosen mechanism?

To validate a chosen mechanism, it is important to test it through experiments and gather data to support its accuracy. Additionally, the mechanism should be able to make predictions about future experiments or observations, which can further validate its effectiveness.