Help with Newton's second and third laws

In summary, the ground pushes both blocks together with a force of 100N. The weight of block B only affects the force that block B exerts on block A, not the force that block A exerts on block B.
hollymason

Homework Statement

Two blocks are pushed to the right so that they move together with increasing speed. Block B remains at the height shown. Ignore friction between the ground and block A but not between block A and block B. The mass of block A is 10kg and the mass of block B is 2kg. Let system S represent the system consisting of both blocks A and B. (use g=10m/s^2)A-for block a, b, and system s: draw free-body diagrams, identify any Newton's third law force pairs, and write out the algebraic form of Newton's second law.

B-using only the forces in your free-body diagram for system S, calculate the magnitude of the force exerted on system C by the ground (N_sg).

C-using only the forces in your free-body diagrams for block A and block B, calculate the magnitude of the force exerted on block A by the ground (N_ag).

D- How should the value of N_sg compare to N_ag?

Homework Equations

Force = mass X acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is my attempt so far. I'm stuck on C because I feel like I would use the same equation F=m X a but mass would be 10kg instead of 12 because it's asking about the force exerted on A. But the blocks move together so would I account for the weight of B as well? I've attached an image so you can see my attempt at parts A and B as well.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2z4gw11.jpg
2z4gw11.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
hollymason said:
I'm stuck on C because I feel like I would use the same equation F=m X a but mass would be 10kg instead of 12 because it's asking about the force exerted on A.
OK.

hollymason said:
But the blocks move together so would I account for the weight of B as well?
The weight of B only acts directly on B, not A. Of course, the weight of B affects the force that B exerts on A. Set up two equations, one for A and one for B.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you mean write different force equations for A and B?
So for A it would be F=10kg X 10m/s2=100N
and for B it would be F=2kg X 10m/s2 = 20N

hollymason said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you mean write different force equations for A and B?
So for A it would be F=10kg X 10m/s2=100N
and for B it would be F=2kg X 10m/s2 = 20N
I mean apply Newton's 2nd law to each block separately. (##\Sigma F = ma##.) You already have the forces identified, and even the equations written. (To answer part C, all you need are the vertical forces.)

A) The free-body diagram for block A shows the force of gravity (W_A = m_Ag), the normal force from block B (N_AB), and the applied force (F_A). The free-body diagram for block B shows the normal force from block A (N_BA), the normal force from the ground (N_BG), and the force of gravity (W_B = m_Bg). The free-body diagram for system S shows the applied force (F_A), the normal force from block A (N_AB), and the normal force from the ground (N_SG).

B) Using the equation F=ma, we can calculate the net force on system S by adding the forces in the x-direction. F_net = F_A - N_AB - N_SG = ma. Since the blocks are moving together with increasing speed, we can assume that the net force is positive and is equal to the mass of the system (m_A + m_B) multiplied by the acceleration (a). Therefore, F_A - N_AB - N_SG = (m_A + m_B)a.

C) To calculate the force exerted on block A by the ground (N_AG), we can use the same equation F=ma. However, since we are only considering the forces on block A, the mass in this equation would be m_A. The net force on block A is equal to the applied force (F_A) minus the normal force from block B (N_AB) and the force of gravity (W_A = m_Ag). Therefore, F_A - N_AB - W_A = m_Aa. We can solve for N_AG by adding N_AB and W_A to both sides of the equation, giving us N_AG = F_A - m_Aa.

D) The value of N_SG should be greater than N_AG. This is because N_SG takes into account the normal force from block B, which is also exerting a force on block A. Therefore, the normal force from the ground must be greater in order to keep the blocks moving together with increasing speed.

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. It can be mathematically expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you apply Newton's second law in real-world situations?

In order to apply Newton's second law, you must first identify the net force acting on the object and its mass. Then, you can use the equation F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the object. This can be helpful in understanding the motion of objects in situations such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or launching a rocket.

3. What is the difference between Newton's second and third laws?

Newton's second law deals with the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

4. Can you give an example of Newton's third law in action?

One example of Newton's third law is the recoil of a gun. When a bullet is fired, the gun exerts a force on the bullet, propelling it forward. At the same time, the bullet exerts an equal and opposite force on the gun, causing it to recoil backwards.

5. How can understanding Newton's second and third laws benefit us?

Understanding Newton's second and third laws can help us predict and explain the motion of objects in our everyday lives. It also allows us to design and improve technologies, such as cars, airplanes, and rockets, by understanding the forces at play and how they affect the object's motion.