1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with newton's second and third laws

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two blocks are pushed to the right so that they move together with increasing speed. Block B remains at the height shown. Ignore friction between the ground and block A but not between block A and block B. The mass of block A is 10kg and the mass of block B is 2kg. Let system S represent the system consisting of both blocks A and B. (use g=10m/s^2)

A-for block a, b, and system s: draw free-body diagrams, identify any Newton's third law force pairs, and write out the algebraic form of Newton's second law.

B-using only the forces in your free-body diagram for system S, calculate the magnitude of the force exerted on system C by the ground (N_sg).

C-using only the forces in your free-body diagrams for block A and block B, calculate the magnitude of the force exerted on block A by the ground (N_ag).

D- How should the value of N_sg compare to N_ag?

2. Relevant equations
    Force = mass X acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my attempt so far. I'm stuck on C because I feel like I would use the same equation F=m X a but mass would be 10kg instead of 12 because it's asking about the force exerted on A. But the blocks move together so would I account for the weight of B as well? I've attached an image so you can see my attempt at parts A and B as well.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2z4gw11.jpg 2z4gw11.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK.

The weight of B only acts directly on B, not A. Of course, the weight of B affects the force that B exerts on A. Set up two equations, one for A and one for B.

4. Nov 4, 2014 #3
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you mean write different force equations for A and B?
    So for A it would be F=10kg X 10m/s2=100N
    and for B it would be F=2kg X 10m/s2 = 20N

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I mean apply Newton's 2nd law to each block separately. (##\Sigma F = ma##.) You already have the forces identified, and even the equations written. (To answer part C, all you need are the vertical forces.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted