Help with physics REU statement of interest

In summary, the individual is a current junior at XXX majoring in math and physics with plans to pursue a Ph.D in physics after graduation. Their interest in physics was sparked by a modern physics course, specifically the concepts of quantum mechanics. They have taken several undergraduate physics courses and are now seeking an REU program to gain experience in experimental physics and contribute to research projects. The individual also suggests tailoring their application by researching the research interests of the institutions they are applying to and mentioning specific groups they are interested in. This can help the REU program director match the individual with a suitable research group.
raw
Help with physics REU statement of interest!

I've been working on this for several days and it just comes off as so blah and uninspired to me. I'm a bad writer and I haven't written an essay in 7 months so I'm having trouble wording things the way I'd like. Please critique what I have so far. The ending is unfinished. Let me know what your first impression is and how I could improve.

I am currently a math and physics major in my junior year at XXX. After I graduate, I plan on pursuing a Ph. D degree in physics and hope to become a professional physicist.
I initially wanted to pursue a career in mathematics and intended only to minor in physics however a modern physics course in college led me to a change of heart. I found the quantum mechanical description of nature both fascinating and confusing. I could not believe that matter had wave properties or that physics was probabilistic rather than deterministic. I developed a strong desire to learn more about the nature of quantum mechanics.
I have since taken many undergraduate physics courses at XXX. These courses have strengthened my ability to solve textbook problems and have given me a basic understanding of the fundamentals of physics. However, I’m aware that as difficult as it is to come up with new ideas, it is equally challenging to design experiments to prove them. This REU program will allow me to experience the development of physics through experiment. In addition, it will give me the opportunity to participate in experiments, analyze data and draw conclusions. I hope that I can contribute to your project through hard work and good analytical skills.

Physics news on Phys.org

Also, in such a statement, perhaps look into some of the research being done at each institution you're applying to, and make a few comments about which groups' research interests you (and why, perhaps looking into whether any groups do quantum-mechanics related work (either experimental or of a theoretical nature -- sometimes this can be in atomic/,molecular/optical physics or condensed matter). Most groups post websites, and including some of this will make you look more informed (tailoring the application for each institution), and help the director of the REU program match you better with a group when you get accepted.

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a summer research program for undergraduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. These programs are funded by the National Science Foundation and provide students with hands-on research experience, mentorship, and professional development opportunities.

2. What is a statement of interest?

A statement of interest is a written document that explains your motivation and goals for participating in an REU program. It should highlight your academic background, relevant skills and experiences, and how the program aligns with your future career aspirations.

3. How long should my statement of interest be?

The length of a statement of interest can vary, but it is typically 1-2 pages in length. It is important to be concise and focus on the most relevant and compelling information.

4. What should I include in my statement of interest for a physics REU?

In your statement of interest for a physics REU, you should include your interest in physics and specific research areas within the field. You should also highlight any relevant coursework, research experience, and technical skills. Additionally, you can mention your career goals and how participating in the REU program will help you achieve them.

5. How can I make my statement of interest stand out?

To make your statement of interest stand out, be sure to personalize it by highlighting your unique experiences and interests. It is also important to clearly communicate your passion for physics and your enthusiasm for the specific REU program. Additionally, be sure to proofread your statement for any errors and have someone else review it for feedback.