1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statement of interest for math REU

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    I have to write a statement of interest for a math reu application. I was going to just write a formal essay. Then I thought, maybe I can write this essay in the form of a proof with lemmas and a theorem which will say that I will be a good fit for your program. Do you think this is stupid? It's okay if you do. I've never written any kind of application before for math. I want your honest opinion. Do you think it is too informal? Do you think a lot of people do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2
    I would not risk it myself. Maybe if you could pull it off and be witty and funny, it could work, but it all depends on whoever is assigned to read your letter and that's very subjective. I wouldn't try it.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Yeah. I was thinking that too. It will either look really good or reallllllllly bad if I can't pull it off. Hm... decisions, decisions. Thanks for your input.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4
    I would never do this for graduate school by the way...

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5
    I want to say that an axiom is my unbounded love for math. but does that sound dumb? because my time on earth is finite, so how can my love be unbounded? haha.

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This sounds like a really bad idea. You don't want them to think you aren't taking this seriously.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #7
    Thanks for your feedback. I guess I will just go with my formal statement of interest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook