Help with pressure-force problem

• Thread starter Xiongster
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a car sinking into a shallow lake and coming to rest on its side at a depth of 13.7 m. The area of the car door is given as 0.67 m^{2}. Using the equation Force = pressure * area, and taking into account the atmospheric pressure and the density and depth of the water, the force exerted on the outside of the door by the water is calculated to be 351582 N. However, it is noted that the car may still be filled with air, which could affect the calculation.
Xiongster

Homework Statement

A car misses a turn, sinks into a shallow lake, coming to rest on its side with the door horizontal and at a depth of 13.7 m. If the area of the car door is 0.67 m[tex]^{2}[/tex], what is the force exerted on the outside of the door by the water?

Homework Equations

Force = pressure * area

The Attempt at a Solution

p_total = p_atm + [tex]\rho[/tex] * g * h

F = (p_atm + [tex]\rho[/tex] * g * h)/area

F = (101325 N/m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (1000 kg/m[tex]^{3}[/tex] * 9.8 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex] * 13.7 m)) / .67 m[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 351582 N

That's what I've done so far, but it isn't the right answer, can someone help point me in the right direction? I know I did something wrong or forgot something but don't know what it is. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the car is still filled with air so that the atmospheric pressure cancels out (it takes some time to fill with water anyway even if the windows are open).

No, it tells me to not forget to add the atmospheric pressure.

1. What is pressure-force problem?

Pressure-force problem refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the force applied on an object due to the pressure exerted on it.

2. How do I solve a pressure-force problem?

To solve a pressure-force problem, you need to first determine the pressure acting on the object and then use the formula F = PA, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the object.

3. What units are used to measure pressure and force?

Pressure is typically measured in pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m2), while force is measured in newtons (N).

4. Can you provide an example of a pressure-force problem?

Sure, for example, if a person is standing on a wooden plank with an area of 1 square meter and the atmospheric pressure is 101,325 Pa, the force exerted on the plank is approximately 101,325 N.

5. How is pressure-force problem related to real-life situations?

Pressure-force problems are commonly encountered in real-life situations, such as calculating the force applied on the bottom of a swimming pool due to the weight of the water or determining the force needed to lift an object using a hydraulic press.