Help With Probability Problem: Find Mean & Variance of Vn

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mike2323
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the mean and variance of success for a party with $n=2$, $n=3$, and $n=4$ people are 1 and 1 respectively.
Mike2323
Hello and i need your help with the following statistic ploblem!

in a party there are n people (n >=2). each man cast identity in a common box.They mix and each person chooses identification at random from the box, without resetting. We say that we have success if one chooses his identity. If with Vn denote the number of successes, find the mean and variance of Vn

A tried to use Gambler's Ruin and i don't know if i get something the answer

I made this think

Pn=0 n=0
Pn=1 N=1

PPn+1+(1-P)Pn-1 (for 0<n<N)Please, if someone could help me i would appreciate it since i didn't answer this problem in an old test!

THank you so much with your time!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mike2323 said:
Hello and i need your help with the following statistic ploblem!

in a party there are n people (n >=2). each man cast identity in a common box.They mix and each person chooses identification at random from the box, without resetting. We say that we have success if one chooses his identity. If with Vn denote the number of successes, find the mean and variance of Vn

A tried to use Gambler's Ruin and i don't know if i get something the answer

I made this think

Pn=0 n=0
Pn=1 N=1

PPn+1+(1-P)Pn-1 (for 0<n<N)Please, if someone could help me i would appreciate it since i didn't answer this problem in an old test!

THank you so much with your time!

Hi Mike2323! Welcome to MHB! ;)The probability that $k$ persons in a group of $n$ pick their own identity is given by:
$$P(V_n=k)=\frac{\text{#Permutations that leaves $k$ of $n$ identities the same}}{\text{#Permutations of $n$ identities}}$$
where \(\text{#Permutations of $n$ identities}=n!\).For $n=2$ either the identities are swapped, or they are not.
So $P(V_2=0)=\frac{1}{2!},\ P(V_2=1)=\frac{0}{2!},\ P(V_2=2)=\frac{1}{2!}$.
That gives us the expectation:
$$E_2 = \frac 12 \cdot 0 + \frac 12 \cdot 2 = 1$$
and the variance:
$$\sigma_2^2 = \frac 12 \cdot (-1)^2 + \frac 12 \cdot (1)^2 = 1$$

For $n=3$ either the identities are cyclically shifted (2 possibilities), or 2 identities have been swapped (3 possibilities), or everyone gets their own identity (1 possibility).
So $P(V_3=0)=\frac{2}{3!},\ P(V_3=1)=\frac{3}{3!},\ P(V_3=2)=\frac{0}{3!},\ P(V_3=3)=\frac{1}{3!}$.
That gives us the expectation:
$$E_3 = \frac 26 \cdot 0 + \frac 36 \cdot 1 + \frac 16 \cdot 3 = 1$$
and the variance:
$$\sigma_3^2 = \frac 26 \cdot (-1)^2 + \frac 16 \cdot (2)^2 = 1$$

I think I'm seeing a pattern here...
If I do the same thing for $n=4$ and $n=5$, I'm getting again that $E=1$ and $\sigma^2=1$... (Thinking)

1. What is the formula for finding the mean of Vn?

The mean of Vn can be calculated by taking the sum of all the values in the set and dividing it by the total number of values. In mathematical notation, the formula is: Mean = Σx/n, where Σx represents the sum of all the values and n represents the total number of values.

2. How do I find the variance of Vn?

The variance of Vn can be calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each value and the mean, and then dividing it by the total number of values. In mathematical notation, the formula is: Variance = Σ(x - μ)^2/n, where Σ(x - μ)^2 represents the sum of the squared differences and n represents the total number of values.

3. What is the significance of finding the mean and variance of Vn?

The mean and variance of Vn help to summarize and describe the data set. The mean represents the average value of the data, while the variance measures how spread out the data is from the mean. These calculations can provide valuable insights into the characteristics of the data set and can be used to make predictions and comparisons.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the mean and variance of Vn?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the mean and variance of Vn. Most scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for calculating these values. You can also use online calculators or spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel.

5. Are there any common mistakes when finding the mean and variance of Vn?

Some common mistakes when finding the mean and variance of Vn include using the wrong formula, not considering all the values in the data set, and forgetting to take the square root when finding the standard deviation (which is the square root of the variance). It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formulas to get accurate results.