Help with proving a function can be written f = E + O

• Thread starter pyrosilver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that any function f with domain R can be written as the sum of an even and odd function, and how to prove the uniqueness of this way of writing f. The conversation includes steps for solving two simultaneous equations in two unknowns, which are necessary for proving the existence and uniqueness of E and O in the formula f = E + O. The person involved in the conversation is struggling with the problem due to their lack of previous math education.
pyrosilver

Homework Statement

a. Prove that any function f with domain R can be written f = E + O, where E is even and O is odd.

b. Prove that this way of writing f is unique.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I didn't know where to start and I don't know where I'm trying to go, so I don't know if I'm even on the right track.

since even: f(x) = f(-x) and odd: f(x) = -f(-x) -- as well as f(-x) = -f(x)...

E(x) + O(x) = E (x) + O(x)
E(-x) + O(x) = E(x) + O(x)
E(-x) + O(-x) = E(x) - O(x)
(E+O)(-x) = (E-O)(x)

not sure where to go from here. so if someone could help me figure out what I'm trying to end up with? or where to go from here?I would very much appreciate it. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume you could write f(x) = E(x) + O(x). See if you can figure out what E and O would have to be. Then figure out if that works.

I'm still a little confused. So here's what I did:

for finding out what E is:
f(x) = E(x) + O(x)
f(x) - O(x) = E(x)
(f-O)(x) = E(x)

then for O:
f(x) = E(x) + O(x)
f(x) - E(x) = O(x)
(f-E)(x) = O(x)

Is that right?

so then f(x) = (f-O)(x) + (f-E)(x)? I'm a little confused on what I'm supposed to do and where I should end up

almost
f(x) = E(x) + O(x)
so what is
f(-x) ?
show E and O exist and are unique

"f(-x), does it equal E(x) - O(x)?

Yes, so you have f(x) = E(x) + O(x) and f(-x) = E(x) - O(x). Solve those two equations for E and O and what do you get?

for the first, both E(x) and O(x) are E(x) + O(x). For the second, both E(x) and O(x) are E(x) - O(x). I'm still a bit confused though because i started with what I wanted to show?

pyrosilver said:
for the first, both E(x) and O(x) are E(x) + O(x). For the second, both E(x) and O(x) are E(x) - O(x). I'm still a bit confused though because i started with what I wanted to show?

What you are doing right now is show that if f can be expressed as the sum of an even and odd function, what must they be? Treat E and O as the two unknowns in the two equations and solve for them in terms of f.

Once you know what they must be if they are to work, then you can check to see if they actually do work.

so for f(-x) = E(x) - 0(x):

E(x) = f(-x) + O(x)
O(x) = E(x) - f(-x)

and for f(x) = E(x) + O(x):

E(x) = f(x) - O(x)
O(x) = f(x) - E(x)

is that right?

"Once you know what they must be if they are to work, then you can check to see if they actually do work. "

how do I prove that there isn't a function that is not one of these, though? sorry I'm still a little confused

pyrosilver said:
so for f(-x) = E(x) - 0(x):

E(x) = f(-x) + O(x)
O(x) = E(x) - f(-x)

and for f(x) = E(x) + O(x):

E(x) = f(x) - O(x)
O(x) = f(x) - E(x)

is that right?

"Once you know what they must be if they are to work, then you can check to see if they actually do work. "

how do I prove that there isn't a function that is not one of these, though? sorry I'm still a little confused

No, that isn't what you want. You have two equations:

f(x) = E(x) + O(x)
f(-x) = E(x) - O(x)

Two equations in two unknowns. The unknowns are O and E. Solve for the two unknowns in terms of f. You don't solve two equations in two unknowns by having the unknowns in your formula for the unknowns.

Once you show that if can be written as E + O, then E and O must have a certain form, you know E and O couldn't have some other form.

ok so in f(-x), E and O both equal f(-x) -f(-x), and in f(x), E and O are f(x) + f(x)?

Do you know how to solve two simultaneous equations in two unknowns like:

2x + 3y = 5
-x + 4y = 3

for x and y?

No, I've never done that before

Well, no wonder you are having trouble with this. What level mathematics are you taking? Where did you get this problem?

i'm taking a calc theory class but I'm in 8th grade and my teachers made me skip a couple levels of math. I'm trying to get out of this class because I'm really struggling but they won't let me

So you haven't had, for example, Algebra I and II and trigonometry??

I don't know what I've had. back in 5th grade I was ahead of my class so my teacher had me do other stuff, and that's kind of what I've been doing for the past couple years. I've never taken an official course like geometry or algebra II, I've just kind of done what they've told me to do :( and now they put me in a high school junior-senior level calc theory class and they won't let me drop down because i still have a decent grade in it somehow

What do your parents have to say about your situation? I don't know what I can do to help you with it. Does your school have a school counselor? There should be someone locally that you could get through to.

Okay i just googled how to solve for two equations simultaneously, I don't know if i didi this right. But I went:

f(-x) = E(x) - O(x)
O(x) = E(x) - f(-x)

so then

f(x) = E(x) + E(x) - f(-x)
-2E(x) = -f(-x) + f(x)

then can I divide by -2? I'm so sorry I have a feeling I'm being really slow and I don't mean to waste your time I'm just still confused on what my end product needs to be.

edit: my parents want me to stay in the class. I won't be at this school for much longer, so i guess I'm just going to stick it out and then drop down in high school. my parents mostly want me to do this because they think me taking this class makes my resume look good for high school. I just got to stick it out a little while longer :(

pyrosilver said:
Okay i just googled how to solve for two equations simultaneously, I don't know if i didi this right. But I went:

f(-x) = E(x) - O(x)
O(x) = E(x) - f(-x)

so then

f(x) = E(x) + E(x) - f(-x)
-2E(x) = -f(-x) + f(x)

then can I divide by -2? I'm so sorry I have a feeling I'm being really slow and I don't mean to waste your time I'm just still confused on what my end product needs to be.

edit: my parents want me to stay in the class. I won't be at this school for much longer, so i guess I'm just going to stick it out and then drop down in high school. my parents mostly want me to do this because they think me taking this class makes my resume look good for high school. I just got to stick it out a little while longer :(

It's easiest to add the two equations and divide by 2 to solve for E(x), then subtract the two equations and solve for O(x). Then verify that your E(x) that you get really is even and the O(x) you get is really odd, and that they add up to f(x)

I have to run now. Good luck.

That sound like fun what is calc theory. This is a common type of proof called an existence uniqueness proof. We desire to show that there is at least one answer, and at most one answer. Thus exactly one answer.
We have here the equations
f(x)=E(x)+O(x)
f(-x)=E(x)-O(-x)
This is a common type of equation called a system of simultaneous linear equations. One normally learns to solve them in prealgebra or the first (elementary) algebra class. If you did not read up on it now. The idea is we will be able to write the equations switched around so
E(x)=a*f(x)+b*f(-x)
O(x)=c*f(x)+d*f(-x)
for properly chosen numbers a,b,c,d. Try it.

1. What does "proving a function can be written f = E + O" mean?

Proving a function can be written as f = E + O means showing that the function can be expressed as the sum of an even function (E) and an odd function (O). This is known as the "even-odd decomposition" of a function.

2. Why is proving a function can be written f = E + O important?

Proving a function can be written as f = E + O is important because it can help simplify complex functions and make them easier to understand and manipulate. It can also be used to solve problems in physics and engineering, where even and odd functions are commonly encountered.

3. How do you prove that a function can be written as f = E + O?

To prove that a function can be written as f = E + O, you must show that the function satisfies the properties of an even and an odd function. This can be done by plugging in both positive and negative values for the independent variable and checking if the function remains unchanged or becomes the negative of itself.

4. Can any function be written as f = E + O?

No, not all functions can be written as f = E + O. Only functions that satisfy the properties of an even and an odd function can be decomposed in this way. Examples of functions that cannot be written as f = E + O include exponential and logarithmic functions.

5. How can proving a function can be written f = E + O be applied in real life?

Proving a function can be written as f = E + O has many applications in real life. It can be used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, in physics to study the behavior of physical systems, and in engineering to design and optimize systems. It can also be used in mathematics to solve problems involving complex functions.