1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a function is peridoic

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    Show that cos(x) + cos([itex]\alpha[/itex]x) is periodic if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a rational number.

Ok So I don't think I have ever done a question proving periodicity. But by definition a function f is periodic if:

f(x + p) = f(x)

so then:

f(x+p) = cos(x +p) + cos([itex]\alpha[/itex](x+p))
    = [cos(x)cos(p)-sin(x)sin(p)] + [cos([itex]\alpha[/itex]x)cos([itex]\alpha[/itex]p)-sin([itex]\alpha[/itex]x)sin([itex]\alpha[/itex]p)

and this is where I am stuck, so from what I've learned I have to solve for p is some fashion, I'm just not sure how,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi trap101! :smile:

hint: cos(0) + cos([itex]\alpha[/itex]0) = 2 :wink:

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

The first thing to do with a rational number is write it as [itex]\alpha = r/s[/itex] for co-prime integers r and s.

You already know that [itex]\cos x[/itex] has period [itex]2\pi[/itex] and [itex]\cos(\alpha x)[/itex] has period [itex](2\pi/\alpha)[/itex]. So you need to find [itex]p[/itex] such that [itex]x + p = x + 2n\pi[/itex] and [itex]x + p = x + 2m\pi/\alpha[/itex] for integers n and m.

5. Nov 3, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have expressions for f(x) [given], and f(x+p) [derived above].
    Now assume that alpha is rational, m/n, and then see if there is any period p which satisfies the condition f(x)=f(x+p).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted