Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Help with relationships in equations ΔX/L = λ/d?

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    Can someone explain to me the relationships with this equation (and probably any other equation). For example i don't fully understand how the ΔX is inversely related to the d. I have an idea of how this is so, however i can't really picture it with numbers. If you could explain the relationships and how they work that would be nice ty.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What context is this in? What does the equation describe?

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The equation in the thread title (which should be here in your post) is
    $$\frac{\Delta x}{L} = \frac{\lambda}{d}$$
    I'm assuming that L and ##\lambda## are constants in this equation.
    If you double d, the result is that ##\Delta x## is halved. If you triple d, ##\Delta## becomes 1/3 of its former value. That's what inversely related means.

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4
    My guess is that a plane wave of wavelength lambda impinges on a opaque screen with a hole of size d. The outgoing diffraction pattern has an angle of about lamda/d. Another screen , at L meters from the first one (really far), is used to observe the diffraction pattern. delta_x is the approximate size of the main diffraction lobe.
    I'd like to see the original context

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted