Help With Reynold's Number and Diameter

In summary, Reynold's number is a dimensionless number that can be used to compare the flow of different fluids through a pipe. Increasing the diameter of the pipe will promote laminar flow through it, while decreasing the diameter will result in turbulent flow.
SBMDStudent
Hey guys,
I am looking at the concept of Reynold's number applying to anesthesia circuits. I understand that one formulation for Reynold's number as it relates to a fluid flowing through a tube of constant dimensions is:
R# = (Velocity x Diameter x Density)/Viscocity
I know that a high R# is characteristic of turbulent flow. I also understand that increasing the diameter of a tube should promote laminar flow through it, how do I reconcile that with the Diameter term being in the numerator (thus increasing the R#, which should promote turbulent flow)?

I did not see this specific questions addressed in other R# threads. If so, sorry for the redundancy.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From Wikipedia:
Flow in pipe

For flow in a pipe or tube, the Reynolds number is generally defined as:

813a39bbed6a40500e3c78d6ec2d92e8.png

where:

Since the cross-sectional area is proportional to the pipe's diameter squared, the diameter goes to the denominator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also understand that increasing the diameter of a tube should promote laminar flow through it

That statement is much much too general to adequately describe fluid flow.
Strictly speaking, if a pipe has a change in diameter from one section to the next, each section has a different Reynold's number. Since by continuity, the flow Q in each section is the same, it follows that the velocity will change as an inverse function of area, or of D^2. Increase D, but v will decrease faster, resulting in a lower Re. Conversely, decrease D, and v will increase faster.
That pretty much describes what Jack Action wrote from Wiki, but in different terms.

Reynold's number, as you most likely know, is the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces.
It is also a dimensionless number, and therefore can be used for comparative analysis of flow when one, or more, of the terms is or needs changing.
One can have flow Q1 through a pipe with sections of a different diameter. In which case Q,
503c8a1cfcdb94c6397f5b81c6437c42.png
, and
de862b1d87605de43d72d6087b71939c.png
remain constant throughout.
One can alter the flow to Q2, through the same pipe. In which case, Re is different from above in the sections, and only
, and
remain constant ( going from flow Q1 to Q2. )
One can use a different fluid through the pipe. Here, both
, and
may change, and perhaps Q ( subsequentially v ).

What is Reynold's number and why is it important?

Reynold's number is a dimensionless quantity that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is important because it helps us understand the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and can predict the behavior of fluids in different situations.

How do I calculate Reynold's number?

Reynold's number can be calculated by dividing the product of velocity, characteristic length, and fluid density by the fluid viscosity. The formula is Re = (ρ*V*L)/μ, where ρ is density, V is velocity, L is characteristic length, and μ is viscosity.

What is the significance of diameter in Reynold's number?

The diameter is used as the characteristic length in the Reynold's number formula and is important because it determines the scale of the flow. In many cases, the diameter is the size of the object or channel through which the fluid is flowing.

What is the range of Reynold's number for laminar and turbulent flow?

For most practical applications, a Reynold's number below 2300 indicates laminar flow, while a number above 4000 indicates turbulent flow. However, this range can vary depending on the specific situation.

How does the value of Reynold's number affect the behavior of fluids?

A low Reynold's number results in smooth and orderly flow, while a high Reynold's number leads to chaotic, unpredictable flow patterns. This can significantly impact factors such as drag, heat transfer, and mixing in fluid systems.