Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with scilab code for calculating transmission coefficient

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    I seem to be getting some arbitrary values from my Scilab code for a function. I have to generate a graph showing the dependence of the transmission on the air gap separating two higher refractive index materials i.e. I want to plot "T" as a function of "d".
    [tex] T = \frac{1}{1 + \beta \sinh^2 (\delta)}[/tex]
    δ = 2∏d/λ

Code (Text):
    d = [0:0.01:1]
    delta = 2*%pi*d
    T = 1/(1+0.36*(sinh(delta))^2)
    plot(d,T)
    xtitle("Transmission dependence on d","d","T")
    The output graph does not match with what I was expecting. The transmission T should start at 1 and decrease with increasing d. Instead the graph seems reversed. I have attached the output graph file. I plotted the graph with the same formula in excel and it turns out right. Can someone take a look at my code and point out where I am going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
    I don't have Scilab but I think your problem is that T is calculated by matrix division not an element by element division. Other than that it seems like the code should work fine.

Try:
    T = 1 ./(1+0.36 .*(sinh(delta)) .^2)

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    Wow, that worked (graph attached). Thanks a lot, Bob!

Attached Files:

• FTR.jpg
      FTR.jpg
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook