1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with selecting graduate schools

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    I am a senior at University of Buffalo and am getting ready to start applying for graduate school. I was hoping that I could get some advice on where I should be looking, because I am having difficulty in finding a good list of schools with information on there areas of research. My interests are first in quantum information and computation but I might also be interested in bio physics or something I am not yet well acquainted with. My stats are:
    gpa: 3.35
    GRE math: 780
    GRE verbal: 620
    GRE writen: 4.0
    pGRE: taking in November
    (Have some research experience in solid state but no publications)
    If someone could give me a good starting point on places to look I would be very great-full.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    my three big tips for finding a grad school:

1. Google the crap out of it. You'd be surprised what you can find simply by searching for "quantum information grad school". If you are searching for a list...good luck.

2. Do a literature search. Look back at the papers you have cited for reports and what not, and even do a quick literature search to figure out what is the 'bleeding edge' of the science. Look at who is publishing what and what university they are with. Then cruise over to their web site and see what research they have going on. Shoot the prof an email, telling him you are a potential grad student and interested in his research. Props if you have read some of his papers and actually know what he is doing. (and yes that initial contact helps in selection...you have a better chance of getting accepted and getting funding if when the committee gets to your app, someone already knows who you are and what you are interested in).

3. Talk with your current professors. academia is a small world and chances are one of your professors (hopefully one who will write you a good letter of rec) has colleagues or knows someone who has colleagues in the field you are interested in. Once you get some names, start looking up what they are focusing on and go from there.

Don't be afraid to hunt around either. When I was looking for a masters program, I spent a few solid days doing nothing but surfing google and cataloging schools, advisers and their research interests. Then I started sending out emails and putting together applications. The school I wound up going to was one I came across using google, and it turned out to be a perfect match for me. Honestly, the path I wound up taking is one that I didn't even know existed while in undergrad (but I'm glad I found it). The second time around, going for my PhD, I simply talked to one of my prof's who was conducting research in the field I'm interested in and asked him for references. A few emails and an application later, and I was a student again.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    i'm also interested in knowing more

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    Well I'll plug my old alma mater the University of Waterloo in canada (which will probably save you money to). It has the Institute for Quantum Computing and the Perimeter Institute

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook