Help with special relativity problem (off by a factor of 2)

In summary: For example, helium has a molecule count of 2.7e24, so you would use 2.7e24/22.711 to find out how many gas molecules there are in 1 cm3 of helium.
weston.pace

Homework Statement

Special Relativity A.P French Problem 1-9

An eccentric billionaire decides to sterilize his 106 liter swimming pool by boiling the water in it. For heating purposes he uses the fusion reaction:

1H + 3H → 4He + radiant energy

Assuming the heating system is 20% efficient, how much does he pay for the tritium (3H) to raise the pool temperature from 20°C to 100°C? It takes 4.2 joules to raise 1g of water through 1°C. Tritium costs about $5 per cm3 of gas at STP.

Homework Equations

E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

Total energy required:
[tex] E_{total} = 4.2 \frac{J}{g°C} * 10^9 g * 80°C = 3.36*10^{11} J[/tex]

Energy Generated per reaction:
[tex] E_{reaction} = m_{diff} * c^{2}[/tex]
[tex] E_{reaction} = ((1.0081 + 3.0170) - 4.0039)amu * 1.6603*10^{-27} * (3*10^{8}\frac{m}{s})^{2} = 3.1682 * 10^{-12} J [/tex]

Atoms per cubic centimeter of gas at STP:

[tex]\frac{atoms}{cm^3}=6.0221*10^{23} * \frac{1}{22.711} * 10^{-3} = 2.6516 * 10^{19}[/tex]

Final Result (1/0.2) is to account for 20% efficiency:
[tex]cost=$5*\frac{1}{0.2} * \frac{E_{total}}{\frac{E_{reaction}}{\frac{atoms}{cm^3}}} =~ $100,000[/tex]

The answer in the book is $50,000, which would imply I'm off by a factor of two. I've looked over this for some time and can't see my mistake. Can anyone help me spot what I've missed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is "molecules per cubic centimeter", not atoms.

Tritium gas is T2.
That is a weird setup. He will spend the first billion (at least) for the fusion reactor.

mfb said:
That is a weird setup. He will spend the first billion (at least) for the fusion reactor.

I think irrationality is a requirement in physics textbooks problems.

Thanks for the help, that would certainly yield the right answer. Is this just something that should have been obvious from a chemistry standpoint? My chemistry is really rusty.

Hmm... it is something you should know, but there is a big difference between knowing it and thinking of it.

weston.pace said:
Is this just something that should have been obvious from a chemistry standpoint? My chemistry is really rusty.

Chemistry or physics, the thing to remember is that gases are made of molecules, and the Avogadro constant is how many molecules a mole of gas contains. Then you just need to find what a molecule of the given gas is.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers.

2. What is a special relativity problem?

A special relativity problem is a mathematical or conceptual question that involves the principles of special relativity. These problems often involve calculating the effects of time dilation, length contraction, or the relativistic addition of velocities.

3. How do I solve a special relativity problem?

To solve a special relativity problem, you will need to use the equations and principles of special relativity. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify what information is given and what is being asked, and then use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variables.

4. Why am I getting an answer that is off by a factor of 2?

This could be due to a number of reasons, such as using the wrong equation, incorrectly plugging in values, or not properly taking into account the direction of motion. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and values.

5. Can special relativity problems have real-world applications?

Yes, special relativity has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, GPS systems rely on the principles of special relativity to accurately measure time and determine location. Other applications include nuclear energy, particle accelerators, and space travel.