Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with System of nonlinear DEs

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    Hello everybody. I have a quick question. I have the following system of nonlinear differential equations:

(di/dt)(x)+(x^2 - dx/dt)(i)+ v(t) =0 _ _ _1

dv/dt = i/C _ _ _2

I know my Initial Conditions: i(0) = 0, di(0)/dt = 0, x(0) = L, dx(0)/dt = 0, v(0)=V

PS- x is displacement, t is time, i is current, C is capacitance, v is cap voltage.

Does anyone have any clues whatsoever on how to solve this? Can I use Euler's method somehow? What kind of numerical technique do I need??

I would greatly appreciate somebody's help! Thanks all!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2010 #2
    Are i and x independent ?

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3
    Yes, i and x are, and so is v. They are all functions of t...
    I was told to use Runge Kutta by a friend, but am still not sure how to implement it for meshed equations like this. Anyone have any hints?

5. Jul 13, 2010 #4
    If x & i are independent, we can solve for i for a given x ( as a differential equation of second order in v). The best way would be to use numerical methods.

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    Eynstone:

Thanks for the pointers! What numerical method would you use? I was going to use just a second order Runge-Kutta, since I need fast results with not too much accuracy.

Once again, thanks bud.

J

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook