Help with uniform motion problem.

In summary: This all assumes you are working in the vertical direction.In summary, the problem involves a sphere rotating around a vertical shaft supported by two strings, with a tension of 18 N in the upper string. The goal is to calculate the tension in the lower string. To approach the problem, one can use the equations for circular motion and consider the forces acting on the sphere in the vertical direction. By resolving the tension in the top string into vertical and horizontal components, and using the fact that there is no vertical acceleration, the tension in the bottom string can be calculated. Further calculations can be done to find the acceleration and frequency of the system.
thestar88

Homework Statement

A 0.60 kg sphere rotates around a vertical shaft supported by two strings, as shown. If the tension in the upper string is 18 N, calculate the tension in the lower string.
phpri5opy.png

Homework Equations

ƩFR = maR

FT = m * (v2 / r)

I am not sure about this, but I also think that the equation to find the centripetal acceleration may come in handy as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure how to approach this problem. I tried to use the same methods that were used for a similar problem found here: http://www.educator.com/learn/physics/physics-b/jishi/circular-motion-part-1.php?ex=1 (It is extra example #1), but I do not feel confident in this approach. Physics is not my strongest subject, so please forgive my utter cluelessness. My best guess for this problem is to perhaps solve for the acceleration of the top small triangle where String #1 is the hypotenuse, and then use that answer to solve for the tension of the bottom string.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and if you have any tools to help with understanding Uniform circular motion (or physics in general), please let me know. Thanks for the help! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of looking in the horizontal direction , try looking in the vertical direction where there is no acceleration. Draw a free body diagram of the sphere and use Newton's 1st law.

More help please...

Here is what I have done so far:
1. I found out the length missing side of the top triangle (the missing side is T1 or the hypotenuse of the triangle) using Pythagoras.
2. Given that the top triangle is a right angle triangle, I proceeded solve for the angles using the sin/cos properties of a right angle triangle.
that is all that I have. I have tried to Could you please clarify what you mean by the vertical direction? I know that this system will revolve horizontally (kind of like a tether-ball), so there will be 0 vertical velocity, which also means 0 vertical acceleration. Also, how can I use the 18 N given in the equation to find the tension of the lower string? How can I use the equation T1sinθ + T2cosθ = m × (v2/r) to find the T2 when I don't know the velocity of the system?

thestar88 said:
1. I found out the length missing side of the top triangle (the missing side is T1 or the hypotenuse of the triangle) using Pythagoras.
2. Given that the top triangle is a right angle triangle, I proceeded solve for the angles using the sin/cos properties of a right angle triangle.
that is all that I have. I have tried to Could you please clarify what you mean by the vertical direction? I know that this system will revolve horizontally (kind of like a tether-ball), so there will be 0 vertical velocity, which also means 0 vertical acceleration. Also, how can I use the 18 N given in the equation to find the tension of the lower string? How can I use the equation T1sinθ + T2cosθ = m × (v2/r) to find the T2 when I don't know the velocity of the system?

You can resolve the tension in the top string to produce a vertical and horizontal component.

The vertical component is part of the force supporting the bob (vertically). The horizontal component is part of the centripetal force acting on the bob.

The vertical and horizontal components of the tension in the bottom string supply "the rest" of those forces.

Theoretically you could take your pick of the horizontal or vertical requirements to solve this problem - but that would assume you know the size of the required centripetal force. You might be limited to considering the vertical - a hint given earlier.

thestar88 said:
Since you don't know the velocity, you cannot initially proceed in the horizontal direction. In the vertical direction, however, which is the y direction, you know that since there is no acceleration on that direction, the sum of all components of the forces on the sphere I am thst direction must add to 0. So what are the y components of the tension forces and weight, using trig to get the vertical leg component values?

I have another question: Can I use the vertical acceleration (which equals 0) to solve for the acceleration of this system and then solve for the frequency (or rev/min) of the system?
Thanks again for the help.

thestar88 said:
I have another question: Can I use the vertical acceleration (which equals 0) to solve for the acceleration of this system and then solve for the frequency (or rev/min) of the system?
Thanks again for the help.

Once you know the two tensions, you can calculate the total of the components that make up the centripetal force. From that you can get acceleration and frequency if that is what you are after.

What is uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant speed in a straight line.

What is the formula for uniform motion?

The formula for uniform motion is distance = speed x time, or d = s x t.

How do I solve a uniform motion problem?

To solve a uniform motion problem, you need to know the distance, speed, and time involved. You can use the formula d = s x t to find any missing value.

What are the units for distance, speed, and time in a uniform motion problem?

The units for distance are typically in meters (m), the units for speed are in meters per second (m/s), and the units for time are in seconds (s).

Can I use the formula for uniform motion for any type of motion?

No, the formula d = s x t is specifically for uniform motion. For different types of motion, such as accelerated motion, different formulas will need to be used.