Help with visualizing this problem

• Thread starter caseys
  • Start date
In summary, when two vehicles are travelling towards each other, the faster vehicle will have a time difference of eleven seconds.
caseys
Help with visualizing this problem...

I am having a bit of brain lock-up at the moment...and just can not seem to see my way through this problem.

A vehicle takes "t" to travel one mile. If the vehicle's speed was 5 mph faster then the "t" to travel the one mile would of been 11 seconds less. What is the original speed of the vehicle.

I first thought of the formula d=vt but even with looking at the problem with v1 and v2 and/or t1 and t2 with even making a bunch of drawings ...I am just at a loss. I am beginning to think I do not have enough information.

Can someone give me a gentle nudge in the right direction to get me back on track?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have enough information. You can write two equations with two unknowns, v and t. The rest is just algebra.

You just need to get your variables straight.

Let's try splitting the two cases up into vehicle 1 and vehicle 2 and define the following variables:

Vehicle 1:
distance: d_1
velocity: v_1
time: t_1

Vehicle 2:
distance: d_2
velocity: v_2
time: t_2Ok. So far we've used no information. Let's take each phrase and try to extract information. Again, I'm going to treat the two cases as two different vehicles.

"A [the first] vehicle takes "t" to travel one mile."

t_1 = t
d_1 = 1

"If the [second] vehicle's speed was 5mph faster...

v_2 = v_1 + 5

"... then the 't' to travel one mile..."

d_2 = 1 = d_1

"...would of been 11 seconds less."

t_2 = t_1 - 11 = t - 11So now, what you thought was to look at the relationship, d=vt. Let's see what we get when we write out this equation for each vehicle (making substitutions based on our above equations).

Vehicle 1:
d_1 = v_1 * t_1
1 = v_1 * t

Vehicle 2:
d_2 = v_2 * t_2
1 = (v_1 + 5) * (t - 11)

So you have two equations and two unknowns:
1 = v_1 * t
1 = (v_1 + 5) * (t - 11)

Thanks! Woke up this morning realizing that I was over thinking this problem. Casey

What is the best way to visualize a complex problem?

The best way to visualize a complex problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This could include creating diagrams or flowcharts, using graphs or charts, or even creating physical models.

Why is visualization important in problem-solving?

Visualization is important in problem-solving because it allows us to see the relationships and connections between different elements of a problem. It can also help us identify patterns or gaps in our understanding, which can lead to more effective solutions.

How can I improve my visualization skills?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your visualization skills. Try to regularly work on visualizing different types of problems, and experiment with different techniques and tools to see what works best for you. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from others and learn from their approaches.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to visualize a problem?

One common mistake is trying to visualize too much information at once, which can lead to confusion and overwhelm. Another mistake is not considering alternative perspectives or solutions, which can limit the effectiveness of the visualization. It's also important to remember that visualization is not a one-size-fits-all approach, so what works for one person may not work for another.

Are there any resources or tools that can help with visualizing a problem?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with visualizing a problem. Some examples include software programs, online tutorials, and books or articles on visualization techniques. It can also be helpful to collaborate with others and brainstorm together using different visualization methods.