1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with work and energy problem

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    Hi i need help with this problem. The first part asks
    A car (m = 890.0 kg) travelling on a level road at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mph) can stop, locking its wheels, in a distance of 60.0 m (196.9 ft). Find the size of the horizontal force which the car applies on the road while stopping on the road. First solve this problem using work/energy concepts and then check your answer using kinematics/force law concepts.

I solved this by finding the acceleration and plugging into formula F=ma=5402N

The second part asks
    Find the stopping distance of that same car when it is traveling up a 18.9deg slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mph). Assume that muk does not depend on the speed.

I drew a free body diagram and came up with the following relationships
    F-fk-mgsin(18.9)=ma where F=5402N

How do I solve for the horizontal distance? Is it just the vertical component of the Force?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2
    I just tried using the formula Vf^2 = v0^2 + 2adx -- where final velocity=0, initial velocity is given, and i solved for a using the above equation F-ukmgcos(18.9)-mgsin(18.9)=ma. But I still didn't get the right answer..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?