Help with writing a simple proof on inequalities

In summary: thenm<n thensm<sn thenm<n thensm<sn (2.7) thensm<sn (2.5) thensm<sn (2.7) thenspm<spn (2.7i) thenspm<spn (2.4) thenspm<spn (2.7) thenspm<spn (2.7ii) thenspm+mp<spn+qn (2.7ii) thenm(sp+p)<n(sp+q) (distributive property) then(sp+p)m<(sp+q)n (2.6) thensm+p<sn+q (2.4
thelannonmonk
1. Let m, n, p, q [itex]\in[/itex] Z
If 0 < m < n and 0< p [itex]\leq[/itex] q, then mp < nq

2. Propositions/axioms I can use that relate to inequalities
2.4 Let m,n,p [itex]\in[/itex] Z. If m < n and n < p, then m < p
2.5 For each n [itex]\in[/itex] N there exists an m [itex]\in[/itex] N such that m > n
2.6 Let m,n [itex]\in[/itex] Z. If m [itex]\leq[/itex] n [itex]\leq[/itex] m then m=n
2.7 i)If m < n, then m+p < n+p
2.7 ii)If m < n and p < q then m+p < n+q

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, my first idea is to say if m < n, then sm < sn (s being an arbitrary integer). However, I don't have an axiom or proposition to reference for this step, so I don't even know if I can use it. If I could use it, then i would go on to say that if sm < sn, then if p<q, then pm<qn, but this is the thing they want me to prove! So I can't reference the proposition I am trying to prove, I am just stuck!

The other issue is that I can only use axioms an propositions from earlier in the book, so my options are limited, but the most obviously useful ones seem to be 2.7 (i) and (ii)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may have to establish the proposition [itex]for 0 < m < n and s > 0 , m < n \Rightarrow sm < sn [/itex] as a lemma, if you were not given it. But you're in luck, because the "universe of discourse" is the integers and we are sticking to the positive ones. Use what you know about addition of positive integers and Prop. 2.7 for this.

Then you want to build a chain of inequalities starting from mp and changing one factor at a time until you have nq . (I have said enough...)

how about
m<n
m+m<n+n (2.7)
2m<2n

so you should be able to build up to
s>0 then
sm<sn

Last edited:

What is a proof?

A proof is a logical argument that shows why a statement or theorem is true. In mathematics, proofs are used to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or equation.

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical expression that compares two values. It includes symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to indicate if one value is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to another value.

How do I write a proof for an inequality?

To write a proof for an inequality, you need to show that the inequality holds true for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations, logical reasoning, and the properties of inequalities.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when writing a proof for inequalities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a proof for inequalities include assuming that the inequality holds true for all values without proper justification, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and not clearly stating the properties or theorems used in the proof.

Can you provide an example of a simple proof on inequalities?

Yes, here is an example of a simple proof for the inequality a + b > 2ab:
Assume a and b are positive real numbers.
Using the AM-GM inequality, we have:
a + b ≥ 2√(ab)
Squaring both sides, we get:
(a + b)^2 ≥ 4ab
a^2 + 2ab + b^2 ≥ 4ab
a^2 + b^2 ≥ 2ab
This shows that a^2 + b^2 is greater than or equal to 2ab.
Therefore, a + b > 2ab.