Hermite and Legendre polynomials

In summary, there is a connection between Hermite and Legendre polynomials as they are both particular cases of hypergeometric functions. The confluent one is a limiting case of the Gauß one, which is related to the Gaussian function. Additionally, there is a reversed equation that connects the two polynomials.
terp.asessed
Hi, I am just curious, are Hermite and Legendre polynomials related to one another? From what I have learned so far, I understand that they are both set examples of orthogonal polynomials...so I am curious if Hermite and Legendre are related to one another, not simply as sets of orthogonal polynomials...if anyone could elaborate, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course there's a connection between them, as they are particular cases of hypergeometric functions (the confluent one is a limiting case of the Gauß one).

Is
dextercioby said:
Gauß
a Gaussian function? If not, I've never heard of "Gauß"...

What are Hermite and Legendre polynomials?

Hermite and Legendre polynomials are types of mathematical functions that are used in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in statistics and physics. They are named after mathematicians Charles Hermite and Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first studied and described them.

What are the properties of Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials, meaning that they are perpendicular to each other when graphed. They also have a specific recurrence relation, which allows for easy calculation of higher order polynomials.

What are the applications of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have many applications in physics, particularly in solving problems involving spherical symmetry. They are also used in numerical methods for solving differential equations and in signal processing.

How are Hermite and Legendre polynomials related?

Hermite and Legendre polynomials are both types of orthogonal polynomials, meaning that they have similar properties and are used for similar purposes. However, they have different formulas and recurrence relations, and are typically used for different types of problems.

What are the differences between Hermite and Legendre polynomials?

Aside from their different formulas and recurrence relations, the main difference between Hermite and Legendre polynomials is their application. Hermite polynomials are typically used in problems involving Gaussian distributions, while Legendre polynomials are used in problems involving spherical symmetry.