1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian Operator in Inner Product

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int d^{3} \vec{r} ψ_{1} \hat{A} ψ_{2}[/itex] = [itex]\int d^{3} \vec{r} ψ_{2} \hat{A}* ψ_{1}[/itex]

Hermitian operator A, show that this condition is equivalent to requiring [itex] <v|\hat{A}u>[/itex] = [itex]< \hat{A}v|u>[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I changed the definitions of ψ into their bra-ket forms first of all.

Hints say something about the Identity operator, but I don't have any bra's in my equation, what do I do?

3. The attempt at a solution

After changing the ψ into their bra-ket forms and substituting, I am stumped. Any pointers please?

I have introduction into adjoint hermitian operators but I cannot see how this would fit into it.

I would write more about what I did, but your equation editor is very difficult to use, is it possible that you could make a code that mirror's the equation editor on Microsoft Word 2007 - 2011?

Please help me, I'm doing this problem WAY ahead of time and I just want to be good at this stuff. Please don't ignore me, just give me a push in the right direction and I promise I will do all the rest and show you what I did.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    Help?

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It would help if you showed what you did rather than just describe it.

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    Latex takes forever to use... Well here goes:

We are supposed to assume that [itex]ψ_{1}*[/itex] is a wavefunction, so we use a trick to show just that, whilst the conjugate is now something wierd

[itex]ψ_{1}* = < \vec{r}|ψ_{1} >[/itex]

[itex]ψ_{1} = < ψ_{1}|\vec{r} >[/itex]

So subst into

[itex] \int d^{3} \vec{r} < ψ_{1}|\vec{r} > \hat{A} < \vec{r}|ψ_{2} >[/itex] = [itex]\int d^{3} \vec{r} < \vec{r}|ψ_{2} > \hat{A}* < ψ_{1}|\vec{r} >[/itex]

([itex] | \vec{r} > < \vec{r} | [/itex]

Left side can have the r thingy rearranged in terms of identity bra-ket which is 1, so we get:

[itex]< ψ_{1}|\hat{A}|ψ_{2} >[/itex] = [itex]\int d^{3} \vec{r} < \vec{r}|ψ_{2} > \hat{A}* < ψ_{1}|\vec{r} >[/itex]

Right side becomes:

[itex]| ψ_{2}>\hat{A}*< ψ_{1}|[/itex]

Swap around the functions on the right side to get:

[itex]< ψ_{1}|\hat{A}|ψ_{2} >[/itex] = [itex]< ψ_{2}|\hat{A} *|ψ_{1} >[/itex]

Remembering that [itex] \hat{A} = \hat{A}*[/itex] for an hermitian function. Dunno whether this is correct.

Latex is so hard to use, anything easier?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. Oct 17, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Can you explain how you went from
    [tex]\int d^3\vec{r}\,\langle\psi_1\vert\vec{r}\rangle\hat{A}\langle\psi_2\vert\vec{r}\rangle[/tex]to [itex]\langle\psi_1\vert\hat{A}\vert\psi_2\rangle[/itex]?

7. Oct 17, 2011 #6
    That's not what I did..

I went from [itex] \int d^{3} \vec{r} < ψ_{1}|\vec{r} > \hat{A} < \vec{r}|ψ_{2} > [/itex] to [itex]< ψ_{1}|\hat{A}|ψ_{2} > [/itex]

I used that identity relation with the bra of the r facing the ket of the r... it equals 1.

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, that was a typo. The thing I don't like is you have the operator sandwiched between the [itex]|\vec{r}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle \vec{r}|[/itex]. It's not clear that you can just then eliminate the pair from the expression. It would be better if you wrote it as follows:
    \begin{align*}
    \int d^3\vec{r}\, \psi_1^* \hat{A} \psi_2 &= \int d^3\vec{r}\, \psi_1^* (\hat{A} \psi_2) \\
    &= \int d^3\vec{r}\, \langle\psi_1 | \,\vec{r}\rangle\langle\vec{r}\, |\, \hat{A}\psi_2\rangle \\
    &= \langle \psi_1 |\, \hat{A}\psi_2 \rangle
    \end{align*}

9. Oct 18, 2011 #8
    Nicely done broslice, I assume I do the same thing for the right side?

EDIT:

Done, thanks alot, since it's hermitian, the conjugate remains the same as normal and the condition [itex] <v|\hat{A}u> [/itex] = [itex] < \hat{A}v|u> [/itex] is met.

Can you help me on my other topic? Just a point in what to do with the probabilities, thank you in advance.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook