1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Hermitian conjugates: ##x##, ##i##,##\frac{d}{dx}##

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    Just doing some studying before my final exam later today. I think I've got this question right but wanted to make sure since the problem is from the international edition of my textbook, so I can't find the solutions for that edition online.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Hermitian conjugate (or adjoint) of an operator ##\hat{Q}## is the operator ##\hat{Q}## such that $$\left<f | \hat{Q} g \right> = \left<\hat{Q} | g\right>, \ \text{for all }f \text{ and }g$$
    (A Hermitian operator, then, is equal to its Hermitian conjugate: ##\hat{Q} = \hat{Q}##.)
    a. Find the Hermitian conjugates of ##x##, ##i##, and ##\frac{d}{dx}##.
    b. Construct the Hermitian conjugate of the harmonic oscillator raising operator, ##a_+##.
    ##a_+ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \hbar m \omega}} (-ip + m\omega x)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\left< f | \hat{Q} g \right> = \left< \hat{Q} f | g \right>##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For ##x##: ##\left< f | x g \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} x g dx##
    Also, ##\left< x f | g \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x f)^{*} g dx##
    If ##x## is real, then ##x^{*} = x##
    So ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x f)^{*} g dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x f^{*} g dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} x g dx##
    So ##x## is a Hermitian operator; its Hermitian conjugate is itself.

For ##i##: ##\left< f | i g \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} i g dx##
    Also, ##\left< i f | g \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (i f)^{*} g dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} (-i) g dx##
    So ##\left< f | i g \right> = \left< (-i) f | g \right>## which means that the Hermitian conjugate of ##i## is ##-i##.

For ##\frac{d}{dx}##: (this is the one I'm unsure about)
    ##\left< f | \frac{d}{dx} g \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} \frac{dg}{dx} dx##
    Integrate by parts: let ##u = f^{*}## and ##dv = \frac{dg}{dx} dx##.
    Then ##du = \frac{df}{dx}^{*} dx## and ##v = g##
    Integrating by parts, ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} \frac{dg}{dx} dx = f^{*} g |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{df}{dx}^{*} g dx##
    The term on the left goes to zero since f(x) and g(x) are square integrable, so they must be zero at either extreme.
    So the Hermitian conjugate of ##\frac{d}{dx}## is ##-\frac{d}{dx}##.

For ##a_+##: (writing this quickly because I have to get back to studying, and formatting equations takes a while)
    ##\left< f | a_+ g \right> = \left< f | \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \hbar m \omega}}(-ip + m \omega x) g \right>##
    ##p## and ##x## are Hermitian, and the Hermitian conjugate of any constant is just the negative of that constant. So this should be equivalent to
    ##\left< -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \hbar m \omega}} ( -i p + m \omega x) f | g \right>##
    Therefore,
    ##(a_+)^\dagger = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \hbar m \omega}}(-ip + m \omega x) = -a_+##.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The first three proofs are perfect, but you made a mistake with a+.

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4
  6. Dec 7, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##(a_+)^\dagger = a_-## and vice versa

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted