Hexagon's rotating in a larger hexagon

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram of a group of 6 hexagons rotating inside a larger hexagon and the lack of documentation on this type of rotation. The rotation may have a potential use as a lock, but would require independent force on each hexagon and could face substantial friction. One participant also suggests a potential application of the rotation if friction is minimal.
thorpie
Hello
The attached diagram shows a group of 6 hexagons rotating inside a larger hexagon. I have never seen such rotation before and didn’t envisage it until I drew it. Just out of curiosity I was hoping someone could advise of any documentation on such rotation. I cannot see any substantial use of the rotation except possibly as a lock. It seems to me that independent force needs to be applied onto each of the six hexagons for rotation to occur. There is also so much sliding of flat surfaces that friction will be fairly substantial.
Thanks for your time
rotatingHexagons.png

Glenn

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If friction is small enough, force on one hexagon should allow moving all of them.
An interesting pattern that fits nicely, but I don't see an application either.

1. How does a hexagon rotate in a larger hexagon?

A hexagon can rotate within a larger hexagon by maintaining a fixed center point while each of its vertices trace out a circular path around the center of the larger hexagon. This creates a rotational motion within the larger hexagon.

2. What causes the rotation of hexagons in a larger hexagon?

The rotation of hexagons in a larger hexagon is caused by the conservation of angular momentum. As the hexagon rotates, its angular momentum remains constant, resulting in a circular motion within the larger hexagon.

3. Is there a specific speed or direction in which a hexagon rotates in a larger hexagon?

The speed and direction of the rotation of a hexagon in a larger hexagon can vary depending on the initial conditions and external forces acting on the system. However, the rotation will always follow the path of least resistance, which is typically the shortest distance between two points.

4. Can hexagons rotate in different orientations within a larger hexagon?

Yes, hexagons can rotate in different orientations within a larger hexagon. The orientation of the rotation is determined by the initial conditions and forces acting on the system. However, the rotation will always follow the path of least resistance, which is typically the shortest distance between two points.

5. Are there any real-world applications for hexagons rotating in a larger hexagon?

Yes, there are various real-world applications for hexagons rotating in a larger hexagon, such as in mechanical systems, planetary motion, and fluid dynamics. This type of rotational motion is also commonly seen in natural phenomena, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.