1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey guys so I've been having some trouble with this question How

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    Hey guys so I've been having some trouble with this question...

How many nanoseconds does it take for a computer to perform one calculation if it performs 6.9 × 10^7 calculations per second?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Nanoseconds

How many nano seconds in a second?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3

10^9 I believe

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

So is the answer 69 nano seconds?

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5

No. Just shift the decimals until you have something with .... x 109 sec since you can substitute that with nano seconds

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6

The conversion to nanoseconds is the second step for the question. First you have to find the time for one operation, in seconds or any convenient unit. Then you can convert in nanoseconds.
    The given value is not the time for one operation but the number of operation per second.

8. Sep 22, 2012 #7

Alright so I got 14 nano seconds, I did 1 calculation/ seconds * seconds/ calculations per second which was 14 nano seconds :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook