1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey, I'd love a hand - Introductory Mechanics

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    Hi everybody, thank you in advance for all comments/help.

First off, I know I am new here, but a friend of mine is a casual on this board and he suggested I try it for help.

I have just begun a 2nd year university introductory to mechanics class, and I have an assignment due tomorrow. I know youre all thinking im a slacker and put it all off, but I finished 90% of it, just stuck on the last 2 questions that me and a co-student have been going over notoriously on a white board for the last couple hours.

They are derivative/integral questions with the following information:

"14. Calculate the derivative df/dt, where
    (a) f(t) = A cos (at - gt^2 /2)
    (b) f(t) = B1 exp(-yt) + B2t exp (-yt). (i think exp means exponent, and the y is latin gamma?

15. Calculate the following integrals:
    (a) v1 dv/v (v1 > vo> 0)

vo

(b) x dy / (y+xo)^2 (x > xo > 0)

xo

I know it says an attempt at a solution, but everything we've attempted so far has been on a whiteboard and i dont think im getting anywhere.

I would very much appreciate any help whatsoever as I am taking this class as an elective since I am interested in the field, but have exhausted my resources for these questions and do not know where else to turn.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should know the calculus rule for taking the derivative of 'nested' functions:
    [tex] \frac{d}{dx} f(g(x)) = f\;'(g(x)) \cdot g'(x) [/tex]
    Here f() is cos() , g() is at - gt2/2 , and the variable you're differentiating with respect to is t.
    exp(x) usually designates the exponential function, ex.
    Presumably those are meant to be:
    [tex] \int_{v_o}^{v_1} \frac{dv}{v} [/tex]
    [tex] \int_{x_o}^x \frac{dy}{(y + x_o)^2} [/tex]
    The above are common integrals that you should be able to find in a table of integrals (particularly (a), which is very common indeed). You should have the indefinite integral for (a) memorized, since it's so common. Finding the definite integral is just a matter of applying the integration limits to it.

(b) can be solved with an appropriate change of variables to cast it in the form dz/z2, which is another very common integral.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    Yes you are correct with the proper notations, thank you for that. Also, thanks for taking the time to answer.

I'm sure tonight would have gone much easier if I had the textbook, but I opted to pay $40 on ebay instead of $200 in the bookstore, and it hasn't arrived yet :) So that is why I am in dire straights, but if the equation is as common as you say then I'm sorry for asking a dumb question :)

Also thank you for the differentiation help, as with the integrals, wow. I was way over thinking them. Thank you very much gneill, saved my GPA! (not really, assignment was only worth 2% and got most of them already, but nonetheless, thanks).

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If you get stuck with integrations, or stuck without your table of integrals or crib sheet, often the Wolfram Online Integrator can help. Google will find it for you :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook