1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    Hello, everyone.

I am an undergrad physics major - returned to school after many years, in case you had forgotten *_*

It is almost Fall and time to start a new semester. I was all set to take a pretty full load of Chemistry, Computational Physics, Physics, Math, and Philosophy classes starting next week. Then, I received a letter from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute offering me an opportunity to get paid to work in research at my university - 10 hours a week during the semesters and full-time during the summer - for 2 years culminating in a published paper and/or conference presentation. I have been talking to faculty about different projects and different lab environments all over school, including electrochemistry, biophysics, neutron/x-ray diffraction, biology, accelerator technology, laser stuff...all sorts of exciting projects are available!

My problem is that I had set up a schedule of taking lots of units each semester and taking classes in the summer in order to graduate in a timely manner. Taking this research opportunity will definitely delay that - or my worst fear - cause a serious ding to my current 4.0 GPA (either of which would make me quite sad, but probably not kill me).

Anyway, now I am very conflicted. The projects are so exciting, and the opportunity is really unique since I am only in my first year of physics classes. I have a lot of years' working in labs in the semi-conductor industry, but a basic research lab would be a whole new exciting adventure that I really want to pursue.

What would your advice be? Focus on my studies - or - grab the brass ring and go for the research job?? Also, since I am a Physics major should I just stick with physics research, or can I branch out without hurting my physics portfolio?

I just cannot decide - I actually change my mind about 10 times a day and I have to make a decision by mid-September.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful responses. I really do appreciate reading your thoughts.

Plife

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2
    Do the projects. Actual experience is invaluable, classes can be deferred.

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3
    Yes, that is exactly what I keep telling myself...

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4
    Take the offer. This is a no brainer. Go for it!

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5
    Thank you, Carlgrace. I really respect your opinion, so I guess I am off and running! This should be exciting!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook