Scholars Programs/Different Opportunities?

• Thread starter kk727
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various options for an incoming college freshman, including a Scholars Program with the choice of a 4-year Masters/Bachelors program or a 4-year dual bachelor's program. The person is unsure if they can handle the workload but sees it as a great opportunity. They also consider a 5-year Masters/Bachelors program and seek opinions on what would be best for future employers. The consensus is that the 4-year/2 bachelor's program is a waste of effort and the 5-year Master's program is a more reasonable choice.
kk727
As an incoming college freshman in the Fall of 2011, I've been given various options and various paths to take. I'll be attending Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ.

My first option is a Scholars Program, which offers me two unique choices: a 4-year Masters/Bachelors Program, and a 4-year dual bachelor's program. To me, completing two degrees in four years seems like tons of work, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle it. However, it seems like far too good of an opportunity to just pass up. I talked to somebody in the program who is now a Senior, and she carried around 21-23 credits a year - along with summer courses. Again, I'm still in high school, so I do not really know how intense my courses will be, so I figured that I would ask for opinions. There is also a 5-year Masters/Bachelors program in which you get your bachelor's normally, in four years, and then complete all of the work for your Master's in a fifth year.

I'm simply asking for various opinions, what you think may be the best choice, etc. I do not know what will look best for future employers...any input will be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely don't do the 4 year/2 bachelor's degree program. What a waste of effort.

Yeah, I talked to some of my teachers and they said it would be a waste, too. They said that having dual degrees won't really make a difference.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 5 year Master's program...it just seems so much more reasonable than trying to do it all in only 4 years.

What are scholars programs and how do they differ from other opportunities?

Scholars programs are specialized programs designed for high-achieving students to enhance their academic experience and provide unique opportunities for growth and development. They often offer additional resources, mentorship, and hands-on learning experiences that are not typically available in traditional academic programs.

What are the benefits of participating in a scholars program?

The benefits of participating in a scholars program include access to a strong community of like-minded individuals, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and the chance to take part in specialized courses and research projects. Scholars programs may also provide networking opportunities and help students stand out in their future academic or professional pursuits.

Are scholars programs only for students in a specific field of study?

No, scholars programs are available for students in a variety of fields, including but not limited to STEM, humanities, social sciences, and arts. There are also interdisciplinary scholars programs that allow students to explore multiple areas of study.

Do I need to have a certain GPA or academic background to be eligible for a scholars program?

Each scholars program may have its own eligibility requirements, but most look for students with a strong academic record, a demonstrated passion for their field of study, and a desire to challenge themselves and engage in unique opportunities. It is important to research and carefully review the requirements of each program before applying.

How can I find and apply for scholars programs?

You can research and find scholars programs through university websites, scholarship databases, and other resources. Once you have identified a program that aligns with your academic interests and goals, you can follow the application instructions provided by the program. This may include submitting an application, writing essays, and providing letters of recommendation. It is important to start the application process early and carefully follow all instructions to increase your chances of being accepted into a scholars program.